Fresh Ham for Andouille?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jeffesonm

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Mar 3, 2008
Looking to make some andouille and have a fresh ham I'd like to use... I know most recipes call for the butt... will I need to add some fat or should be okay?  Would the shoulder be a better choice?

The ham is from the rear leg, the butt's from the front. they are both great for sausage making.

The important part is that you add the fat that the recipe calls for, since the ham is about 15% fat and the butt is about 30%. If your recipe calls for just butt then you'll want to add some of the hams back fat to make up the difference.

Last edited:
icon_cool.gif

I would recommend that you do what Dan said for he is one of the sausage gurus here. Well atleast to me he is. He's also telling you about the same thing that I was going to say.

Thanks for the feedback.  Here is a picture of the ham chopped up into chunks... there was a good layer of fat under the skin and I tried to keep on as much as possible... maybe I'll throw in a bit more fat just to be sure.

c6704bf5_IMAG0041.jpg

Well the ham worked out just fine... thew in just a little extra beef fat since that's what I had lying around.  Here is some q-vue....

6b5f7d94_IMAG0043.jpg

0a5cda57_IMAG0048.jpg

ed5bf281_IMAG0051.jpg

d1391dda_IMG_1629.jpg

babba4e2_andouille_graph.gif

Overall I am very happy with how it turned out... has some nice heat to it, probably could've used heavier smoke but we'll do that next time.  Thanks to fpnmf for the recipe.

Sausage looks great! I'm glad to see it worked out for you.

Now tell me how or what produced the graph, I need one of them toys.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky