French dip

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

phathead69

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Dec 23, 2016
TN
Daughter is wanting french dip sandwich. What cut of meat is normally used in a sliced sandwich from a restuarant. What cut would be the best.

Not sure what cut is used but I bet you could use a tri tip for this and it’d be lights out! Make sure to post your results! Sounds great!

Good luck,
Scott

We love left over med rare tri-tip sliced thin. Heat 2 or 3 cups Au Jus in sauce pot and put enough sliced beef in it for about 30 seconds. Load onto your choice of toasted bun. I usually saute onion and put in sandwich.

Round roast smoked rare and sliced thin works really well. I usually cut mine so it's shaved.

Chris

Reactions: Burgi57Chevy
Various cuts from the Round are most common in restaurants as they are inexpensive. It is lean and tough, never cook beyond medium and use a slicer to get super thin. Top Sirloin is reasonably priced and much more tender than round. The Ultimate French Dip would use Rib Eye or Short Loin. Whatever you choose, cook no more than medium. Med/rare is even better as you can slice it all and briefly reheat portions as needed in simmering Jus. It wont look it but the meat will be warm and actually medium in the center doing it this way. Remember, thinner the better...JJ

Try this...

Smokey Au Jus

1- Lg Onion,

4-5 Carrots,

3-4 Ribs Celery

3-4 Peeled Cloves of Garlic

Toss them in a pan under the Beef, and let the whole deal Smoke for one hour,

THEN add 4-6 Cups Beef Broth,

2 Tbs Tomato Paste,

1/2tsp Dry Thyme (4-5 sprigs Fresh)

1-2 ea Bayleaf

Finish the Smoking process to the IT you want.

While the Roast is resting, dump the pan juices veggies and all into a 2-3Qt Sauce pot and add 1Cup Red Wine, something you like to drink, and bring the Jus to a boil, lower the heat and simmer 20-30 minutes. Strain out the veggies and let the Jus rest a minute or so for the Fat to rise. Skim off the bulk of the fat then using strips of paper towel laid on top of the Jus, drag quickly across to take off the last little bit of fat.

The purpose of Smoking the Vegetable for 1 hour before adding the Broth and Herbs is...The Smoked vegetables Roast in the Dry heat concentrating their Flavors and Sweetness giving the finished Jus a Richer, Deeper, Full Flavor.

Serve the sliced Beef Au Jus or thicken the Jus to make Gravy.

NOTE: If you are using this recipe with Brisket or a long smoke, additional Water will have to be added periodically to maintain the proper volume. Do not add more Broth as repeated addition and reduction will make the Au Jus too salty..

Eye of round here too, but I have made them with tenderloin & they are fantastic, but expensive!
Al

Thanks for the replies everyone. I kindly figure you can aujus dip about anything only limited by cost or imagination. French dips are one of the few beef dishes she will order in a restaurant.
Sounds like eye of round it is. JimmyJ, sounds like well laid out plan. I will try to do it this weekend or next pending on my work and daughter's schedule. I'll post on it when I get to the cook.

Update. Used eye of round. Didn't get lots of pics.
Here is the remaining sliced ready for skillet. Pulled 120 IT.
20181020_172416.jpg

Here is in skillet with yellow peppers and onions. Quick sauteeing then on bun . Used some frozen brisket drippings with some broth for aujus
20181020_172419.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky