Freezing summer sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tjdeerslayer37

Original poster
Oct 20, 2015
Belleville mi
Making a big batch of summer sausage tomorrow and planning on vac packing and freezing afterwards. So my question is peel the casing before freezing and packing or after thawing before eating? Maybe it doesn't matter... My instinct is to freeze it in the casings and peel when ready to eat

Attachments

• 20230121_181646.jpg
    20230121_181646.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 16
Making a big batch of summer sausage tomorrow and planning on vac packing and freezing afterwards. So my question is peel the casing before freezing and packing or after thawing before eating? Maybe it doesn't matter... My instinct is to freeze it in the casings and peel when ready to eat
Hi there and welcome!

I freeze in those casings and peel after defrosting :)

I always take mine off . I use a lot of cloth bags , so that's one reason . I also don't water bath because I further dry mine in the fridge , and I like the results with the casings removed . Never had any issues myself .

Reactions: tjdeerslayer37
First real run in this smokehouse, and id say its a success. Used the recipe from kutas' book. Added some sharp cheddar to some. Might have gone too fine on the grind but its tasty

Attachments

• 20230122_141822.jpg
    20230122_141822.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 20230122_210034.jpg
    20230122_210034.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 14
First real run in this smokehouse, and id say its a success. Used the recipe from kutas' book. Added some sharp cheddar to some. Might have gone too fine on the grind but its tasty
That looks fantastic! I'd eat all of it. Congrats on the new smokehouse success :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky