Freezing leftover ribs?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokingUPnorth

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Dec 7, 2017
Michigan UP
Being that winter is right around the coroner here in upper Michigan I was thinking about packing the freezer full. It got me to think about doing pork huts and freezing pulled pork with my vacuum sealer and I w in reed if I can do the same with ribs. Usually for my family 1 rack is enough but would be nice to have some fully cooked and ready to go in the freezer. Any of you guys do this? If so how do you go about it and also how do you reheat?

I freeze ribs every time I cook them, I pop them in the microwave set at power 3 for a few minutes, bingo.

I like the SV method to reheat, no chance of over cooking anything, inkbird sells a great 1 also

Do it every time I cook ribs. Reheat in the oven, microwave (usually with a damp paper towel over them), or take the meat off the bone cold and heat on the stove top for tacos, nachos, mac n cheese, etc.

i thaw them out reheat in oven 275-300 in a baking dish covered, i usually add a little water or apple juice, takes about 1 hour

I hang ribs often in a drum smoker. Because with the same amount of charcoal for one rack, I can smoke multiple racks. Smoking some extra ones is the way to go. If your neighbors are keyed in ahead of time for that day, smoke a rack for them. But yes they are great frozen and reheated. For moistness and flavor I like a wrapped finish on cook ahead ribs with some porky 'jus. Although vac-sealing and warming up in a sous vide bath is hard to beat.

I have been freezing ribs for many years and always the same way. Remove all of the racks and set aside to cool. Vac pack each rack and freeze. When your ready to reheat, wrap tight in foil. heat your oven to 200 degrees. Let em go about 45 to 60 minutes. They should be heated just right. Never fail method.

Reactions: TNJAKE
SV or just a pot of water on simmer for about an hour os less wil get them back to just like they came off the smoker, just be sure the vac bag doesn’t have any holes in it.
Al

Yeah I freeze ribs. I personaly like to pull the bones out of them so its just meat... but thats a me thing haha.

If i know I'm going to reheat ribs, i smoked for the time i smoke (2-3.5 hours) and then wrap if I'm going to that day and then when i take out the foil pack or off the smoker to paint sauce on them I skip that step and i let them cool and freeze whole. then when i reheat i layer some sauce on and reheat in the oven at 225-275 for around an hour and crust the sauce on as desired. If they're leftovers and i have already sauced them then i put them in a bag cut up and put in the freezer and reheat the same way maybe with a little more sauce or quick and dirty a few minutes in the microwave. Reheat really brings out the smoke flavor.

Happy Smoking,
phatbac (Aaron)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky