Freezing fish

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I do as Jeff, Keith, and John do. Sometimes I'll lay the fillets out flat on a baking sheet and partially freeze them and then vacuum seal...

I'm with Charles if you put them on a baking sheet and allow to partially freeze you get no liquids into the vacuum sealer makes for a much better clean up

I'm with Charles if you put them on a baking sheet and allow to partially freeze you get no liquids into the vacuum sealer makes for a much better clean up

That's what I was going to do but drying off with paper towels worked. No liquid sucked up

Reactions: indaswamp
Now years ago, in the days before Vac Packers, My Mother used to throw smaller fish fillets into wax coated square Milk Cartons. Then fill them with water, and freeze into a solid block.
I went out with a guide about 6 months ago and caught a bunch of crappie. He recommended that we use effectively this approach but with plastic bags instead of milk cartons, making sure the fillets were completely covered with water.

The resulting bags are irregularly shaped and take up a lot of space in the freezer, but the fish taste great when thawed and cooked. We ate a bunch the day after we caught them and then finished them off 6 months later. I couldn't taste any difference in flavor.

I don't have a vacuum sealer but I may end up getting one, in which case I'll try that approach.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky