Freezing fish

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pc farmer

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Feb 17, 2013
Central Pa
What's the best way to freeze fish.? My son caught red drum and Spanish mackerel and I need to freeze some. He brought home a lot. And best way to cook them. We deep fried some tonight.
IMG_20220917_191123069.jpg

I prefer to freeze it dry in vacuum sealed bags. I feel like the meat maintains better texture that way.
I'm with jcam. We process a lot of fish from what we catch offshore out of Venice, La. Towel dry the fillets with paper towels and vac seal dry. They should last 6 months. You can still eat them after that but the quality suffers.

What's the best way to freeze fish.? My son caught red drum and Spanish mackerel and I need to freeze some. He brought home a lot. And best way to cook them. We deep fried some tonight.

I prefer to freeze it dry in vacuum sealed bags. I feel like the meat maintains better texture that way.
I'm with jcam. We process a lot of fish from what we catch offshore out of Venice, La. Towel dry the fillets with paper towels and vac seal dry. They should last 6 months. You can still eat them after that but the quality suffers.
I do the same, vac pack dry.
I do it mainly with large catches of Catfish, Spanish mack, Redfish and Sheepshead.
But fish doesn't last long enough in the freezer to test long term storage.
I do as Jeff, Keith, and John do. Sometimes I'll lay the fillets out flat on a baking sheet and partially freeze them and then vacuum seal...

I'm with the Flat & Dry Vac Packing gang:
Back in 2010, Bear Jr Vac Packed 18 Salmon fillets. They were all in the 30" to 36" length range, and he packed them individually. It took me about a year to get them all smoked, and they held up Fine that whole time. We didn't notice any loss of quality. These were from a Salmon run, but not a real long one, so they weren't in real bad shape to begin with.

Now years ago, in the days before Vac Packers, My Mother used to throw smaller fish fillets into wax coated square Milk Cartons. Then fill them with water, and freeze into a solid block.

Bear

Reactions: jcam222 and chopsaw
Now years ago, in the days before Vac Packers, My Mother used to throw smaller fish fillets into wax coated square Milk Cartons. Then fill them with water, and freeze into a solid block.

Bear
My grandpa did the same thing....he liked that they would fit nicely in the freezer with no wasted space.

I'm with the Flat & Dry Vac Packing gang:
Back in 2010, Bear Jr Vac Packed 18 Salmon fillets. They were all in the 30" to 36" length range, and he packed them individually. It took me about a year to get them all smoked, and they held up Fine that whole time. We didn't notice any loss of quality. These were from a Salmon run, but not a real long one, so they weren't in real bad shape to begin with.

Bear

My grandpa did the same thing....he liked that they would fit nicely in the freezer with no wasted space.
i also remember my grandparents using this method, seemed to work very well.

My Mother used to throw smaller fish fillets into wax coated square Milk Cartons. Then fill them with water, and freeze into a solid block.
Yup . That's how I always saw people do it . I'm a catch and release fisherman so never tried it myself .

Reactions: sawhorseray
I used to do that with ocean-caught smelt.! Yeah, I reckon that was 50 years ago now that I stop and think about it. RAY

I'm with the help you eat them group

Warren
I'm in this guy's group! Lol.
We tend to freeze in water in gallon bags, but most of what we freeze is walleye, pan fish and if lucky salmon! The salmon we cut into 4" chunks and bag up meal size quantities.

This. And if they get a touch dry/freezer burned - make chowder, you won’t know the difference.

Reactions: indaswamp
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky