Freezing brisket for event - sliced or whole?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

davescountry

Original poster
Jul 17, 2022
Its been so long since I posted here I can't remember my old user name and password. So, looks like a new account for me.

Here is my situation - I am cooking for a wedding that will occur in about 30 days. Two Briskets, a turkey and maybe a pork shoulder. Starting my first brisket today since I don't want to be last minute on this. Too much other prep.

I will have an oven for re-heating at the wedding. I don't know what other accommodations I will have.

So, what is the opinion on the best way to handle this meat between now and then? Do I -
- store it whole (although I will be taking off for burnt ends) and freeze that way? Would re-heat whole and slice there.
- let it cool overnight, slice tomorrow and freeze as slices? Concern that during re-heating I will lose moisture.

With either method, my thinking is to put in a food saver. I don't know if the whole brisket will fit.

For reheating am I better off
- trying to reheat in a foil pan in the oven?
- If in food saver bags, is it efficient or feasible to reheat in a hot water bath in a cooler? I will assume that I can thaw this and transport unfrozen.
- does the reheat method change depending on sliced vs whole?
- should I render any trimmings on the next brisket for basting during re-heating?

Does the recommendation change between the brisket and the turkey?

Personally I would catch the drippings and when done I would slice before freezing then I would put it in an aluminum foil pan and add some of the drippings or a little beef stock before putting foil over the pan sealing it tight and into the oven to reheat

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky