Free vintage (c1922) ebook on curing, smoking and sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

vagreys

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 21, 2012
North Chesterfield, VA
B. Heller & Co. - Secrets of meat curing and sausage making : how to cure hams, shoulders, bacon, corned beef, etc., and how to make all kinds of sausage, etc., and comply with all pure food laws (c1922)

This book is out off copyright and available for download in a variety of formats, including for various readers like Kindle and Nook. I'm aware that there are people selling reproductions of this book, but it is available free from the digitized collections of various universities that have contributed to the archive.org on-line library.

Secrets of Meat Curing

- tom

Last edited:
Reactions: smokinjd
That is very cool! Pretty neat to read about the old days. Need to get some Freeze em pickle lol. They hung there sausage for a lot longer than we do now!

I have some seasoning recipes that theoretically reproduce the Zanzibar blends for pork and beef, according to the original poster of the recipes. How accurate they are is a separate matter, but license to produce the seasonings still exists, and the recipes were allegedly from a former Heller employee who made the blends, daily.

- tom

Tom, morning and thank you.... I looked at the book, started reading and had to download it for further reading....  Very interesting....  Dave

I have some seasoning recipes that theoretically reproduce the Zanzibar blends for pork and beef, according to the original poster of the recipes. How accurate they are is a separate matter, but license to produce the seasonings still exists, and the recipes were allegedly from a former Heller employee who made the blends, daily.

- tom

Are you willing to share?

:biggrin:

Downloaded a digital copy!  What a great resource, and look back into history.  Thanks very much!!!     
texas.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky