FRANKS RED HOT

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokinpo

Original poster
Jan 1, 2013
Shawnee,Ks
OK I need some expert advice. I love the flavor of the Franks red hot but I hate the texture. Any ideas on thickening up the sauce without affecting the flavor??

Possibly heating it up in a sauce pan and stirring it for a while until some of the water evaporates should thicken it and intensify the flavor.

I thicken up mine by heating the sauce, make a slurry with about 1tbp corn starch and 1/4 cup white wine. Stir it in at a low simmer to thicken..adds a nice flavor. You can use water if you don't care for the wine taste.  Just cooking it down to thicken concentrates the vinegar flavor too much for me. 

When I make a hot wing sauce, I add melted butter to Franks, and stir. That thickens it also.

Last edited:
When I make a hot wing sauce, I add melted butter to Franks, and stir. That thickens it also.
The ONLY way to tighten up Frank's Red Hot!!!!

MNEELY nailed it.  The butter smooths out the texture and gives it a little thickness.  My only other advice would be to use unsalted butter.

Great for injection and saucing!

Good luck,

Bill

The ONLY way to tighten up Frank's Red Hot!!!!

MNEELY nailed it.  The butter smooths out the texture and gives it a little thickness.  My only other advice would be to use unsalted butter.

Great for injection and saucing!

Good luck,

Bill
I agree!!!  Butter.  Real butter.

You said you did not want to change the taste...Cooking to reduce or adding butter will definitely change the taste but this stuff is available in most grocery stores. It's a little tricky to work with as you need to warm the sauce and dust it in as you whisk but it will thicken without changing the flavor...JJ

xanthan-gum.jpg

Make the classic sauce. 

1 part Frank's to 10 - 20 parts Durkee's mustard or Nance's if you are familiar.  Make to taste.  Add butter or bacon/chicken/duck fat if you need the wonderful fat and taste. The mustards will act as a thickener without heating or cooking.  Toss whatever (buffalo wings?) into a saute pan and top with sauce.  Toss to coat & thicken with the heat.  Plenty of napkins or company linen (paper towels).

Last edited:
i also use butter...once in awhile I will also add ranch season package. . I know this is not keeping the flavor but for wings its pretty nice ....my version of the Arizona ranch sauce at Quaker Steak and lube

Lol...because the thick juck came out ...it even says "NEW" on the neck on the bottle...but regardless thanks dwaytkus for looking out and franks for clearly knowing what there consumers want

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky