Franklins BBQ

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Jonathan Carlson

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 11, 2018
Has anybody been to Franklins BBQ in Austin? I'm looking to go there but what are the wait times like? I heard it was quite busy..

They were open after the fire and during the construction from what I have heard. Never been there myself. I honestly can't imagine a place being so good that it would be worth waiting four or five hours to eat. It may be great but nothing is so good that I would wait that long for food. I feel pretty confident in my own barbecue at this point and don't want to be disappointed with somebody else serving me something that I felt was less that superior. My buddy says I have become a BBQ snob. He is right lol.

George

Has anybody been to Franklins BBQ in Austin? I'm looking to go there but what are the wait times like? I heard it was quite busy..

From a post I made on another thread about a year ago on the same subject,

"As I understand it, the wait is 4 1/2 to 5 hours. Sometimes longer, but seldom shorter.

I went there once about 6 years ago and got real lucky on the wait. I had been in Austin to meet a client, and while in route to the airport I got an call from my airline to notify me that my flight had been cancelled and that I was on one that would depart 4 hours later. With some time to kill I decided to drive by Franklin's just to see what it looked like. A huge thunderstorm was just subsiding and when I got there around 10:45 AM I noticed that there weren't that many people in line, most were huddling under their umbrellas, ponchos, and other shelter. I also noticed that there were a whole lot of people running to get in line from wherever they had taken shelter from the storm so I quickly parked my car, grabbed my umbrella, and made a mad dash for it. All said, my total wait time was around 45 minutes.

I ordered sort of a sampler plate with mixed brisket, ribs, beans, and slaw, and as you said, everything was outstanding. I've been in Austin several times since and would have loved to go back, but haven't as I can't handle the standard wait time. My DNA is severely deficient when it comes to patience, especially waiting in a line. One option that I learned from my client there is that you can pre-order your food for carryout only, but there are some restrictions. You have to place your order at least 5-6 weeks in advance, and it must include a minimum of 5 lbs. of meats. Dining at the tables there with the carry out food is not allowed, and there's a $75 deposit payable at the time you place your order, both of which are understandable. You simply bypass the line and walk in, pick up your food, pay the balance due, and leave. I think that would be a great thing for a small group of people to do and dine in one of the nearby parks. Unfortunately, none of that works for me."

I was up in Austin a month ago with a friend who wanted to "experience" Franklins. I had been there once before about a year ago. We got there about 8:30 am on a Saturday morning and were about 30th or so in line believe it or not. We were later told that we would probably not get beef ribs (which is what I really wanted) but should be plenty of everything else. We got our meal right around noon, had brisket and smoked turkey. It's my second time there, not sure I'll go again simply because I hate standing in line for anything and secondly there are so many other great bbq places in Texas that I generally don't visit one more than once or twice.

And yes, the brisket at Franklins is to die for, some of the best I've ever had. If you ever get the chance, it's worth the experience.

fetch

fetch

Reactions: Rings Я Us
My cousin is a Pitmaster at Franklin's. An article was written about him and the thousands of briskets that he has cooked at Franklin's. He grew up in our family BBQ'ing. I haven't eaten at Franklin's just because of the wait, but would like to go just to see if there is a difference in taste compared to when our Dad's cooked together.

My cousin is a Pitmaster at Franklin's. An article was written about him and the thousands of briskets that he has cooked at Franklin's. He grew up in our family BBQ'ing. I haven't eaten at Franklin's just because of the wait, but would like to go just to see if there is a difference in taste compared to when our Dad's cooked together.
It is indeed a small world.

George

Reactions: BanditBarbecue
I visited Franklin's BBQ about 2 months ago. I got there at 8am and was 27th in line. By noon I had my brisket and was tearing it up. I enjoyed the food but the wait isnt for everyone.

I don't know if it is true or not.....but I have heard that there are people that you can pay..... they will stand in line, make the order, do the pickup, and then you pick it up from them.

In this world.... I would believe it!!!!

I don't think I would wait in the line although I'm sure it's great. I was born in Texas and grew up in KC so have been to a lot of good bbq places that were busy but no multiple hour lines..... no thanks. I was in Charleston SC a couple of years ago and went to Lewis BBQ. John Lewis worked with Franklin and is pretty well known in his own right. I was the best brisket I've ever had. I think there are alternatives to Franklin that are just as good without all the hype.

I have never been to Franklin's but I did have a really good friend bring me a whole Franklin's brisket packed on dry ice a year and a half ago. It was superb. I was supposed to visit last May to see the Rolling Stones and eat BBQ but Covid got in the way.

I don't think I would wait in the line although I'm sure it's great. I was born in Texas and grew up in KC so have been to a lot of good bbq places that were busy but no multiple hour lines..... no thanks. I was in Charleston SC a couple of years ago and went to Lewis BBQ. John Lewis worked with Franklin and is pretty well known in his own right. I was the best brisket I've ever had. I think there are alternatives to Franklin that are just as good without all the hype.
The famous Franklin stack is a lewis creation...

They were open after the fire and during the construction from what I have heard. Never been there myself. I honestly can't imagine a place being so good that it would be worth waiting four or five hours to eat. It may be great but nothing is so good that I would wait that long for food. I feel pretty confident in my own barbecue at this point and don't want to be disappointed with somebody else serving me something that I felt was less that superior. My buddy says I have become a BBQ snob. He is right lol.

George
Franklin's is an exercise in marketing. Old Texans been smoking briskets for a hundred years it really is not rocket science. I have learned a few things watching a few YouTube videos of his, but there is no way I will ever stand on line for 4 to 5-hours in the Texas heat for an over-priced smoked brisket - I'll leave that to the silly faux-hippies in Austin...

I'm in Austin. I tried Franklin once, just because you kind of have to if you're a bbq freak. It's good, but it's not stand in line for hours good.

Reactions: Retired Spook
Franklin's is an exercise in marketing. Old Texans been smoking briskets for a hundred years it really is not rocket science. I have learned a few things watching a few YouTube videos of his, but there is no way I will ever stand on line for 4 to 5-hours in the Texas heat for an over-priced smoked brisket - I'll leave that to the silly faux-hippies in Austin...
I have never heard a Texan say, "stand on line". You sure you aren't a yankee?

:emoji_laughing:

Just kidding...

Reactions: LoydB
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky