frankfurters...Yeah!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

boykjo

Renowned Sausage Maker
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Apr 28, 2010
Raleigh,NC
Well everyone been putting out some really great sausages in the sausage forum these past few months so I figured I would post up too.... I got some butts on sale for a 1.29 so 5 ten pounders came home with me... Decided to make 20 lbs of hot dogs.. I still have 30 lbs ground in the fridge.. Haven't decided yet but it looks like some Italian and some kielbasa... But for now on with the franks

A new hank of sheep's from B&P

50 lbs

separated out 20 lbs and did a double grind through the fine plate then ran the meat through the food processor to puree.. The Cuisinart did a good job

After soaking the sheep's for several hrs changing the water frequently they were softening up pretty nicely and were easy to handle and open

The sheep's  become easier to open when they become silky smooth and fan out

The meats all seasoned/cured and out of the fridge the next day...... Half is in the stuffer

Its time consuming but I like to take my time and tie and twist the hot dogs so I can separate them farther in the smoker so they don't touch and it makes them easier to handle.... I make a small ring then I twist in the middle

All ready to be hung to form the pellicle..

right before the smoker.. there nice and sticky.. they'll take the smoke real well... going for a 2 hr cold smoke then start them at 140. Loaded up  the AMNTS and the AMNPS smokers with some apple wood pellets from A-MAZE-N Products

HA... There's my smoker project in the back ground...... Its ticked off at me spending time with the franks

Finished at 130 degrees. They took on some nice color..

Ready for the 180 degree par boil and take them to 160

Cool down and hang again to bloom

ready for the fridge to meld

Boy!!!!! I really crapped up the house and still have 30 more lbs of sausage to do tomorrow....... At least the franks are done... Time consuming but well worth it....

Thanks for looking

Boykjo

Looks awesome Joe

Hi Joe!

Wow! That is an amazing batch of hot dogs. I really appreciate how detailed your post was....it's great for beginners like myself to get such a good explanation of the process.

Hot dogs are on my "to do" list, but emulsified sausages still scare me. I just need to pull up my big girl pants and give these a try. Thanks again for a great post!
Clarissa

Awesome post, right after I try other sausage, I may just try this.  I have to do very small batches though.

Those look so good, I can just taste the sour kraut and egg bun now! 

Mel

Joe, as usually you have set such a high standard for so many of us to try to reach.......Great looking Hot Dogs !!!! all I can say is
77.gif
........... Well,
drool.gif
too......... ShoneyBoy

Fine looking sausage. I am impressed with the care you take and the consistent results. Well done.

Disco

LOL joe, my mother had a drying rack just like yours that she used when I was growing up.  Hope your gonna be at the NFL gathering in april.  I want to learn all I can from you this year.  Great job with the pictures.  When I grow up I wanna be just like you.   ed

Those look great
drool.gif
I'm drooling all over my key board. I have wanted to do some dogs for awhile now but I'm not sure of the seasoning to use. Would you mind giving up your recipe? Also noticed that your dogs are all pork. I was thinking a pork/beef mix........does it make that much difference in taste and texture? Can't wait to give this a try.........

Thanks,

Brad

Those look awesome.  Did the 2 hr cold smoke bring your temp up to 140, or did you have to add some heat.  I'm thinking I might be able to do this in my "Knock of Green Egg".  Cold smoke with just the AMAZ'N and a heat diffuser (pizza pan) and finish on the stove in water.

Those look awesome.  Did the 2 hr cold smoke bring your temp up to 140, or did you have to add some heat.  I'm thinking I might be able to do this in my "Knock of Green Egg".  Cold smoke with just the AMAZ'N and a heat diffuser (pizza pan) and finish on the stove in water.
There was no heat for the first 2 hrs then I started heat at 140. Thats the lowest my smoker will go......Smoker ran 140 for about 3 hrs then I bumped it up to 160 for an hr all while smoke was generated from the amnts and amnps

Joe, dang nab it you are killing me, That looks superb!!!!

A full smoker is a happy smoker and yours looks very very happy

Great looking dogs joe. You shamed me into ordering some sheeps so I can get some in the freezer.
Well done.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky