Found this in my pork ribs. What the heck is it?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

billcalley

Original poster
Aug 25, 2015
Anyone have any idea what these things are?  Found six of 'em in the meat of my Corky's par-cooked ribs.  (I don't eat much pork ribs, so this is probably really obvious to you guys.) 

Thanks!!

-Bill

They are the Cartilage that runs thru the meat on the meaty Sternum side of a Full Rack. They are edible but have a chewy, crunchy texture that most Americans are not used to eating. If you usually get St. Louis cut, they are already removed and are not part of Baby Back Ribs...JJ

Last edited:
Repeat after me:

"Glucosamine Chondroitin"  Not in pill form.

Americans do not eat enough cartilage and gristle in our diets.  We'd rather spend thousands of dollars on Lab produced pills called supplements.

If you can't stand the thought of chewing it and swallowing cartilage or gristle, or if it's just too tough, save it and dice small, next time you make meat stock of any kind, toss it into the pot or pressure cooker.  It also helps thickens stock and makes a smoother tasting stock.

It's been a long time since I've seen these, but I've eaten many of them in years past. Not bad if they're soft, otherwise just treat them like a small bone and suck the meat off.

Thanks guys for the answer!!  When I found these worm things (cartilage, but looked like white parasitic worms at the time) in my rack of ribs, I chucked the whole thing in the trash.  Since I had already taken a few bites, I almost chucked what I had already eaten too!  Way too disgusting for me.  (I've never seen this cartilage crap in any restaurant ribs;  maybe I should only eat store-bought Saint Louis cut from now on.)

Yuck:

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky