Forget jerky - make yourself some biltong :-)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
What do you know i have had Biltong for years and did not even know it. One cannot compare it to Jerky though as it is an entirly different process. If i have a choice of Biltong and Jerky i take both and smoke does make it better. Hmmm Smoked ice cream. You may have something there.

OH YEAH BILTONG

I aint made it in a couple years but now its time again.

Nice job

It is tough to find good Biltong.

My ex was South African and we went to Cape Town and Johannesburg.

In the shopping malls over there they have got Biltong stores where the space is basically taken up with a clothes line with rows and rows of steaks all in various stages of "conversion" to Biltong.

Amazing sight to see, amazing smell, awesome taste when fresh from the "line"!

They also sell it in a variety of ways, either as a whole "steak", and you will often see people buy the whole steak and walk around with a small pocket knife just cutting off pieces to enjoy.

They sell it as sticks (stokkies) like the third picture below. Tends to be drier and more spice surface.

And lastly is shaved, basically they take the steak and shave off 2-3mm slices. They take a pinch and kind of chew/suck on it like chewing tobacco, except you don't have to spit it out!

http://www.south-africa-tours-and-travel.com/images/biltong-shop-foodinsouthafrica.jpg

http://ahungryafrican.files.wordpress.com/2014/04/biltong_0020_sliced.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...iltongStokkies.jpg/1280px-BiltongStokkies.jpg

Another great delicacy from there is Boerwors, and the dried version, Droëwors

I think Biltong is the only form of jerky that I havent tried yet! I have been wanting to try it for ages now. I think I need to do some digging and find a good biltong recipe and try it out. If anyone knows of a good biltong recipe, let me know. I will trade recipes lol I want to make some to share on my jerky blog and podcast.

I think Biltong is the only form of jerky that I havent tried yet! I have been wanting to try it for ages now. I think I need to do some digging and find a good biltong recipe and try it out. If anyone knows of a good biltong recipe, let me know. I will trade recipes lol I want to make some to share on my jerky blog and podcast.
Post #45

Agree, biltong is the best!

There are some easy ways to make it if you don't want to build a biltong box! For thin strips marinade just sprinkle some vinegar over them and toss them around in a mix of salt, ground pepper, coriander and brown sugar - then lay the pieces out in your oven at the lowest setting (usually 170 degrees) with the door open a crack to get airflow..  This method only takes about 4-6 hours depending on the thickness of the strips.

If you want to make high quality larger pieces of biltong check out the additional instructions and recipes for biltong, dry wors and chili stick (stokkies) - also biltong boxes etc. at www.biltongblog.com. It also has a printable DIY biltong recipe info graphic..

Enjoy!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky