Food Truck owner. New and looking for advice.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

peacelovebbq

Original poster
Jul 26, 2016
Green Bay, Wisconsin
Hello! I've been trolling the SMF site for awhile, but now that the food truck is operational I need some help from you awesome smokers out there.

I have a Town vertical smoker (found here: http://www.webstaurantstore.com/tow...right-door-hinges-45-000-btu/885SM24RSTD.html )

I smoked 100# of butts, rubbed and injected and threw in cooler overnight. The smoker has a small wood box (about 7"x7"x1") that i filled with soaked cherry and apple wood. I set the temp to 225 and let it heat up to temp. Threw the 100# of butts in and shut the door.

After an hour i checked on them to see if the chips/chunks started smoking, which they were. Checked again hour #2 and the wood was all ashes! After that I started freaking out and opening the door every 30 minutes to add chips and see if it was smoking. I eventually turned thermostat up to 350 by the time everything was said and done.

Long story short, it took 15 hours to smoke the 100#, only yielded about 60# after the cook, and there was very little smoke flavor in the meat.

Anyone ever have these issues or any advice how to get a good smoke in this unit?

Thank you in advance for your help!

facebook.com/peacelovebbqllc if you're interested in checking out our truck!

Last edited:
That sounds like a very small chamber for smoke wood.  I would think 100lbs of pork would need a lot of smoke wood.  

Mike

The texture and moisture content of the pork came out exactly as i wanted it. The only thing missing was the smoke flavor. I don't know if it was because I didn't soak my wood long enough or because I repeatedly opened the smoker. My sandwiches are on point flavor-wise besides the much desired smokiness.

Maybe you should look into buying an aftermarket smoke generator. AMZN pellet smokers are great. Not sure if one unit would would suffice for that much meat, perhaps someone else knows? just be sure your smoker is properly ventilated if using inside.

With 3 propane burners I would try using larger wood chunks. They should burn for 1 hour or more & produce more smoke.

I take wood splits & slice them into chunks about 1" thick for my propane smoker. It's a much cheaper way to buy chunks & they are bigger than you get in the bags.

Hope this helps.

Al

texas.gif
  Good afternoon and welcome to the forum, from another cloudy but hot day here in East Texas, and the best site on the web. Lots of great people with tons of information on just about  everything.

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky