Follow my trailer/ smoker/ grill/ griddle/ range build! (lots of pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Jsoda,

I'm in the planning stage of a build exactly like this. RF, Grill, Gas burners, everything... same same. I will be following this build closely! I'm bummed it's been over a month since the last update. I hope that you haven't stopped the build. It's to cool not to finish!

Thanks,

Smoke_Chef

Hi Smoke Chef,

Thanks for the words of encouragement! After taking so much thought and effort into my posts and not getting any quality feed back, I pretty much gave up on the posting. I don't feel as though any questions get answered or much help has been given.

However, the build has been going well. Pretty slow moving but it is coming together very nicely! I'll see what I can do to take some pics and update the thread. I'd love to see what you have got going on so far too!

Best,

Jake

Jake... I too have noticed that some threads get more attention than others. I know that can be frustrating. However, the best I can tell, is that the threads that get a lot of attention are from people who have been around a while. Even though I've been a member here for four years, I still consider myself pretty new because I don't post all that often. So, when I do post, I too often get very few replies. But.... I can tell you this. Everyone I have ever met here has been very very nice. And.. you may have to go to the people rather than the people coming to you. What I mean by that, is spend time reading posts. When you see something that prompts a question, PM that person. I bet you anything... they will be more than happy to answer your questions. You might even come across a great build and ask that person to take a look at your thread. Maybe they have thoughts but missed it? There are some great great builders on this site. You just have to get their attention. I bet in no time, you'll be getting a ton of replies. Also know this... or at least.. I think this... there are a ton of people that will look at your post and admire what you've done that never say anything at all. They may just not have an answer to your question or not have anything to add by chiming in but... I bet you we are all glad to see the details of your build. It's kind of like field of dreams. Just post... and they will come.

Reactions: daveomak
Jake, morning....  Got any new pics for us to look at ???  
popcorn.gif
.... Dave

Good evening everybody!

After a few build days and a two week road trip, I am back with some updates and in need of some serious help! Here's what I've got:

This is the center rack, still could use some help putting the finishing touches on. What should I use to keep the trays from flipping out when pulled out?

Inside of the smoker with a fresh 1/4 in. reverse flow plate

Think I'll be able to fit any meat in this baby??

Here's my biggest question, is this too tall?? I measured best I could from the top and it came in around 11 ft. from the top to the floor. I was able to pick up this 4.5in. OD  sched 40 pipe for a great deal. The steal company hooked me up big time and sold me 14 ft for only $45 bucks with as many cuts as I wanted. Finally some good BBQ Karma coming around!

I am extremely concerned that the pipes are way too tall. According to the BBQ calculators, even this is about a foot too short based on my firebox dimensions. Does anybody think I should cut it? I'm not really worried about it being too big, only concern is the mobility of it. Feed back would be great here!

Once everything is mounted, I will continue framing the pipes in with the square tube. Because it is such a heavy grade steel mounted on a much thinner steel, I am having to reinforce the mounting big time. The last thing I need is for these pipes to fall off going down the highway

Now all I need to do is finish the smoke stacks, mount the doors and do lots of finishing and its done! I got a little excited the other night and ordered heavy duty barrel hinges, 4 river country 2in. thermos, the river country bear claw shredders, and the maverick E732. Getting closer...

Jsoda, evening....  To keep the racks in place, weld another piece of angle above the rack frame..... leave room so it slides OK though....  Dave

Jake, awesome build so far.

I see you have two looong pipes, but what if you cut them in half and had four exhaust pipes. You could stagger in the other two just to the outside of the other ones, and make them a step (pipe width) lower as well. Then it would kind of match the contour of the top of the barrel as well.

I agree with Dave on the angle iron for the racks, I would probably use a 3 or 4 inch piece to make sure there was enough weld to hold a rack with 8 or 10 butts on it.

Hope this helps and really enjoy the pics.

Keep us posted

Aaron

By the way just look at many views your thread has. Over 1150 views and only 26 posts, people are interested, but probably just know nothing about building a smoker o don't get too discouraged.

Jsoda,   I would not worry too much about the height of the exhaust stack, I think the bbq calculator is way off on that area.  Make the height in porportion to the way you want the smoker to look, as long as the diameter is correct, thats all that matters. Ive built and cooked on many smokers that only used a pie vent in the cooking chamber and they performed just as well. My current build is slightly bigger than what you have there and Im going with two 4" inner diameter pipes 2 ft long. I am putting one at the same end as the firebox for the reverse flow effect, but the other will go at the normal end so that I will be able to have a duel heat zone effect if I want. Meaning; keep it closed for reverse flow, even temp, open it up for when I want it hotter on one side than the other.

Another build day in the books. Starting to see some real progress! Here's what I've got:

Door hinged on and trimmed up.

Smoker door hinged on, still waiting on the trimmings. The things in the center are just strong magnets holding the doors closed.

Any suggestions on how to get the top to seal? There is about a 4 inch gap from the top of the doors where they warped. As soon as I cut the doors out, they wanted to straighten. The trick now will be bending them back and keeping it that way. Tips for making that happen?

The bottom is an airflow vent. It slides both ways. It will provide plenty of air. It also opens fully to allow for ash removal.

The beast with the stacks on.

Next steps are to finish the doors, make the grates, weld the frame for the other side, including the grill and griddle. Give me a few more weeks and this baby will be history. I have a feeling making it look pretty will be the toughest task yet!

Any suggestions on how to get the top to seal? There is about a 4 inch gap from the top of the doors where they warped. As soon as I cut the doors out, they wanted to straighten. The trick now will be bending them back and keeping it that way. Tips for making that happen?

J, morning....   Wow....  I think filling in the gap and making the door flat would be the easiest....   I have seen other builds with "extended jambs" on tanks like you are using..... maybe they had the same problem with the "metal memory" and that was their solution...

If you need to fill in a 4" gap, use 5" flat bar to box in the opening ....  that will leave a 1/2" to 1" flange on the inside of the smoker to make welding easier...  Just my solution to this problem...   there are a few more out there....   maybe they will read this and give more ideas...  To insure the "boxed in jamb is plumb and true...  when welding the pieces in, attach a string at each corner and run diagonally across the opening....  tweak the corners so the string just touches in the middle... this method insures the jamb is in "plane" for lack of a better term.....   hope all that is clear....   

Dave

Heating the door area with a rose bud before cutting would have stressed relieved it, Probably would not have warped as bad.

Tack weld it to the back of the tank and use the back of the tank to get the same radius you need and heat it up with a rose bud , when you cut it back off, it should have the right shape.

I am building a smoker from an old 275 gallon home heating oil tank. I have seen pictures and some videos online and I was wondering where the best location for the stack. I've seen them on the top, bottom, coming off the side, underneath and coming directly off the fire box.....help me....please :grilling_smilie:

Last edited:
Nice build you are preparing. Just posted mine and strangley similar... good stuff.I am just starting to pickup material.so far have new 5x8 trailer,oil tank and rock screen for 600.00

80.00 for plans from the site. Will check it with you as you progress.HAPPY I found this site.

Do Not Stop posting this thing is awesome.Will pour over it somemore soon. the pics are great my expensive plans ignored most of the details and you have covered them nicely... Thanks

I think some of the older memebers do not realise that when we are starting we do not know where to look for stuff and yes it may have been answered peviously but hidden to us. So thanks for keeping with it... Each build is different with its own set of demons

wonderwhy

Last edited:
i see ya have the stacks welded in pretty darn good now....i would lower the stack output lower like 1/4 to 1/3 from the bottom to help keep smoke in there fuller....nice planning on having everything on the trailer....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky