fng question - how to get thermometer probes into pit

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hambandit

Original poster
Nov 22, 2017
new to smoking in general and just bought a pit boss. how do you guys get the thermometer probe cables into the belly of the beast? it doesnt appear that there are any holes for this purpose and i really dont want to drill a hole in my new toy quite yet. running them through the door seems like it would break the seal, i guess i could go through the chimney? is there a better way that i am missing?

thanks in advance

new to smoking in general and just bought a pit boss. how do you guys get the thermometer probe cables into the belly of the beast? it doesnt appear that there are any holes for this purpose and i really dont want to drill a hole in my new toy quite yet. running them through the door seems like it would break the seal, i guess i could go through the chimney? is there a better way that i am missing?

thanks in advance

Hi there and welcome!
I think you just go through the bottom of the door. That is how the Louisiana Pellet Grill does it:
bbc40a50959950714ac6cf40c198b105

Your other option is to go through the smoke stack.
I think you will be fine going under the door.

Drill the hole and be done with it!

Drill it on the side where the probe is connected to the controller and drill it high enough to keep the wire off of the cooking grate.

It's a tool. Use it to your advantage.

Good luck and keep on smoking,

John

Do you put any kind of sealant in the hole to keep it sealed? If so, do you more or less permanently attach the probe wire to the unit?

You don't need to seal the hole. Your not going to loose enough heat or smoke out of the hole to make any difference..
Al

What Al said...Drill the hole high enough to avoid the wire not touching where the heat rises into the smoking/cooking chamber.

Go on Camp Chef's web sight and take a look at their Woodwind model and you will see what I am referring to.

Good luck and Happy Thanksgiving,

John

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky