flounder tonight

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bradger

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Aug 12, 2019
northern NJ
I'm trying to come up with a good recipe for flounder cooked on a flat top, I prefer the KISS method for fish. I'm tired of my usual go to of SPL (salt, pepper, lemon juice) but cant think of any thing else. I am in such a rut.

Reactions: JC in GB
How about blackened flounder?

Lightly brush flounder with melted butter and add blackening season to both sides. Preheat your flattop (is this your CI one??) to screaming hot. Add fish and flip after two minutes. Add more butter for basting after flipping and cook 2 minutes more so fish is no longer translucent.

Do outside on the grill if you can.

How about blackened flounder?

Lightly brush flounder with melted butter and add blackening season to both sides. Preheat your flattop (is this your CI one??) to screaming hot. Add fish and flip after two minutes. Add more butter for basting after flipping and cook 2 minutes more so fish is no longer translucent.

Do outside on the grill if you can.

To this you can also add some grilled onions with spices. This is making my mouth water. Good luck with the flounder.

Ian

Season fish (I like using Old Bay) roll in flour (I use Pride of the West) , eggwash then Panko bread crumbs.

I like flounder lightly dusted with flour, sauteed over low heat in a skillet with butter, capers, and half a lemon cut into 1/4" thick circular slices. Very simple, very delicious.

I'm liking all theses suggestions, it is a very thin cut I'm not sure how well it will hold up to flipping. I do have some left over fresh herbs from the tomato sauce.

My favorite way to eat Flounder?...STUFFED!
Here is the Crab Cake/Stuffing recipe I used in one restaurant I ran. I stuffed Flounder, Shrimp and Mushrooms with it...JJ

Crab Cakes...Thriller not Filler!

2Lb Crab Meat...picked over to remove any shell fragments...Try using a Black Light...Makes 'em GLOW!
2lg Eggs
1 1/2C Low Fat Mayo
2C Panko Bread crumbs or 1C Plain or Seasoned Bread Crumbs
1/2C Scallion...Fine dice, about six each
1/2C Roasted Red Pepper... Fine dice, one medium
2T Roasted Garlic...About 8-10 cloves mashed
2tsp Old Bay
1/2tsp Black Pepper
1T Lemon Juice

Cut the top off a head of Garlic place on Foil, drizzle with Olive Oil. Wrap the foil tightly around the garlic and roast at 350°F until soft and golden brown, about 1 hour. Let cool and squeeze the head to extract all the cloves. Mash with a fork.
Combine all but the Crab and rest 15 minutes for flavors to develop and Bread Crumbs to soften.
Gently fold in Crab Meat.
Form Cakes or use it to Stuff other Stuff!
Makes about 6 8oz portions...

My favorite way to eat Flounder?...STUFFED!
Here is the Crab Cake/Stuffing recipe I used in one restaurant I ran. I stuffed Flounder, Shrimp and Mushrooms with it...JJ

Crab Cakes...Thriller not Filler!

2Lb Crab Meat...picked over to remove any shell fragments...Try using a Black Light...Makes 'em GLOW!
2lg Eggs
1 1/2C Low Fat Mayo
2C Panko Bread crumbs or 1C Plain or Seasoned Bread Crumbs
1/2C Scallion...Fine dice, about six each
1/2C Roasted Red Pepper... Fine dice, one medium
2T Roasted Garlic...About 8-10 cloves mashed
2tsp Old Bay
1/2tsp Black Pepper
1T Lemon Juice

Cut the top off a head of Garlic place on Foil, drizzle with Olive Oil. Wrap the foil tightly around the garlic and roast at 350°F until soft and golden brown, about 1 hour. Let cool and squeeze the head to extract all the cloves. Mash with a fork.
Combine all but the Crab and rest 15 minutes for flavors to develop and Bread Crumbs to soften.
Gently fold in Crab Meat.
Form Cakes or use it to Stuff other Stuff!
Makes about 6 8oz portions...
Damn JJ, you're on a roll brother.
That's another recipe I'm stealing from you.
Thanks!

Reactions: chef jimmyj
What's mine, is Your's around here!
It's a flavorful recipe, great for stuffing. Its different from the Classic Maryland Mustard and Old Bay flavored cakes. I love both styles usually stuffing with the above recipe and Imported Canned Crabmeat. And going Classic Maryland with the more expensive Domestic Fresh Jumbo Lump. At nearly $50 a pound, I keep flavor addition simple!...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky