Flavor not penetrating into meat of baby back ribs; bark is good but meat is bland - help!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Agree with all above. I use an MES 40 electric. No water pan, only the drip pan. Using an AMNPS pellet tube for smoke. Keep top vent all the way open. I use Jeff's original Rub. I don't use any binder to keep the rub on the ribs, their natural moisture works fine. I wrap them rubbed overnight. Just before going onto the smoker, I add more rub.

After 2-3 hours, I add more rub, then wrap for 2 hours or more until finished. I usually cook 5-6 hours total until IT hits 195. I keep the smoke going, even when wrapped. Some disagree with this, but I feel it couldn't hurt. Let us know how the next one goes.
I love all the great tips, and I will be using them for sure going forward. I'll post after the next batch of ribs, thanks again to everyone.

Well I don't do any of that but I do make my own rub, I do have a specific process I follow, and I do keep the ribs moist until wrapped. Granted these are spare ribs but I do all of my ribs the same way. I like how pig tastes. I try not to overpower the sweet natural taste of pork. I'm editing this post to add that all of the advice given does have merit. These other smokers are well versed in meat, rubs, sauces and smoke. Ribs are like wives, sports cars and other things where all of our tastes differ. Take notes and try different combinations until you hit that magical combination.
IMG_20190810_151422252.jpg

Last edited:
I see a lot of major bbq teams wining $ that use mustard slather. Try a different meat suppler. With all the steroids there using for weight gain, chicken, pork and now beef dont have the flavor it use too.

I've often wondered if using mustard on my ribs, pork butt, and brisket is what causes me to have trouble getting bark to form? I use a kamado and it's a super moist environment as it is....I can't help but wonder if having the mustard layer keeps everything TOO wet? Thoughts?

I've applied Rub with and without Mustard and didn't notice a difference in flavor penetration. Injection is the most effective way to get flavor in meat, followed by Brining...JJ

What I like to do is on the night before, remove the membrane, wipe ribs down with a paper towel. Then I coat the ribs with italian dressing. I use home made dressing, but I'm Sicilian, so use whichever you like. I put them on a tray and cover with plastic wrap. I do not wrap the individual racks. Day of the smoke, wipe them off really well, and rub them down. I don't skimp on my rub either. I generally don't even put sauce on mine. I don't wrap them and I don't spray them. Also, I'm on a master built propane smoker. Plain water in the tray. My rub is:

1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp onion powder
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp salt
Fresh cracked black pepper
1 tbsp paprika
1 tsp ground clover
1/2-1 tsp cayenne pepper
A shake or 2 of chipotle powder
1 tsp of white sugar

Adjust amounts to your taste. Those numbers are where I like to start. Good luck!!

Reactions: bgaviator
If you live in an area with dry air (RH% below 50) you will benefit from a water pan in your smoker.

LOL...Not a situation you find yourself in much...Eh, my friend?...JJ :emoji_laughing:

Reactions: MJB05615
We are having an exceptionally moist summer. Need to send our weather people south for a year to realize high dew point means rain even if you didn't see it coming. Got it twice this week.

I smoked a pair of spares last weekend in the pooper with a smoke tube. 1 rack was for vac packing for later. The other was froze for finishing in tomato based sauce that is my wife's favorite. I sampled and the smoke flavor was very good.
I think my other suggestion is make sure your spares or baby backs are cold as in fresh from the fridge when putting on the smoker.

wow, Italian dressing marinade? never would have thought of that! I will have to try this out sometime. I used to marinade chicken in Italian dressing all the time until i came up with my own concoction.

What I like to do is on the night before, remove the membrane, wipe ribs down with a paper towel. Then I coat the ribs with italian dressing. I use home made dressing, but I'm Sicilian, so use whichever you like. I put them on a tray and cover with plastic wrap. I do not wrap the individual racks. Day of the smoke, wipe them off really well, and rub them down. I don't skimp on my rub either. I generally don't even put sauce on mine. I don't wrap them and I don't spray them. Also, I'm on a master built propane smoker. Plain water in the tray. My rub is:

1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp onion powder
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp salt
Fresh cracked black pepper
1 tbsp paprika
1 tsp ground clover
1/2-1 tsp cayenne pepper
A shake or 2 of chipotle powder
1 tsp of white sugar

Adjust amounts to your taste. Those numbers are where I like to start. Good luck!!

Reactions: fullborebbq
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky