Flat top

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Not sure what a discada is. But someone just posted this at Walmart. Seems like a really good deal

Not sure what a discada is. But someone just posted this at Walmart. Seems like a really good deal

24" disc carbon steel disc. I've had a 18 made from a plow disc since I was in the boy scouts.
I'm picking up that 36 tomorrow. I'll explain it to the wife once she figures out. I bought a new grillin toy this weekend. LoL

Look like a great deal to me. I have seen some missing some of the extras like the metal storage top, paper towel holder, magnetic tool holder, etc. that this one shows. By lifting off the top and two bolts on the undertray the legs are made to fold up for storage or easily moving if you save the box. That price will be hard to beat.

I really like the idea of a discada BUT when using a plowing disc how can I be sure there is no lead used in the carbon steel? Lead is often added to steel to improve the machining characteristics of steels.

Are you saying you found a carbon steel discada specifically made for safe cooking? Would it be significantly better at cooking than a carbon steel wok?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I am a single guy but do batch cook for a meal or two and frequently extra to freeze some of it. I do not know about others, but I frequently use most of the entire surface or at least 3 burners of a 36 inch BS frequently. If you have space for it I recommend going larger than smaller. I had a small CampChief griddle to use on my grill previously. I did not realize how limited I was having to rotate items through. Now just have to time what goes on when for it to all finish about the same time or pull some over to a cooler zone to be on hold. Good luck to all.

Reactions: Buckeyedude
I really like the idea of a discada BUT when using a plowing disc how can I be sure there is no lead used in the carbon steel? Lead is often added to steel to improve the machining characteristics of steels.

Are you saying you found a carbon steel discada specifically made for safe cooking? Would it be significantly better at cooking than a carbon steel wok?

Thanks!
Academy has a 24" disc for around 50 bucks. Don't know if it would be significantly better.

That is a great deal!! So tempting to buy..... but since I retired (exactly one year ago) and switched to fixed income I am trying watching my budget.... I am not sure if I will be able to resist for long time though.... :emoji_wink:
I hear you, but keep this in mind. I got mine for $248 a few years ago. The best deal around now is the Walmart $279. ( and I doubt anyone can beat that price) I totally get the whole budget thing, but kinda like everything else, it just keeps going up in price!

Reactions: pushok2018
I totally get the whole budget thing, but kinda like everything else, it just keeps going up in price!
Totally agreed. That's why I said in my previous post that " I am not sure if I will be able to resist for long time though".... I am leaning toward buying it and hope will be able to find it for not more then $250.... You are right - the sooner the better...

Reactions: Buckeyedude
I'd think most tillage ("plow") discs would have a square hole in the middle which kinda' negates the whole wok idea of having a hot center and then you work your food on out. (I keep losing eggs!)

I think most steels nowdays have negligible lead in them so I'm not too worried. Now if you found a tillage disc from >100 years ago, Pb may have been specifically added as a forming/shaping agent. So there's that caveat I suppose.

But I agree with the general flow of the thread that a modern rectangular griddle, on sale, isn't much more than a round something you make up yourself and it looks a lot more pleasing to wives and their guests. I'm really glad I got a hinged lid model too.

I'd think most tillage ("plow") discs would have a square hole in the middle which kinda' negates the whole wok idea of having a hot center and then you work your food on out. (I keep losing eggs!)

I think most steels nowdays have negligible lead in them so I'm not too worried. Now if you found a tillage disc from >100 years ago, Pb may have been specifically added as a forming/shaping agent. So there's that caveat I suppose.

But I agree with the general flow of the thread that a modern rectangular griddle, on sale, isn't much more than a round something you make up yourself and it looks a lot more pleasing to wives and their guests. I'm really glad I got a hinged lid model too.
Most of those discs are welded up in the center

Reactions: 1MoreFord and bill1
Most of those discs are welded up in the center
Hmmm, I'd thing the grinding req'd to smooth the welded area (so that you can smoothly scoop/spatula against it) would negate the cost savings of using a salvaged farming part in the first place.

Had some great food off of a disc a few weeks back at Talladega race track, it worked great and the truck driver built it , a super wok imo.

Discadas seem to have a lot shallower (larger curvature radius) to the inside than a wok. Compare these two:
https://www.amazon.com/King-Kooker-18WK-Steel-17-Inch/dp/B00CJ6EU40
https://www.amazon.com/Hakan-Discada-Cooking-Camping-Activities/dp/B09NT4P5TC/

But for large (>14" diameter) sizes, for both you have to work the food with tools--you can't toss the food in the air to mix it like you can with a smaller wok with long handle.
I'm not skilled with either so don't know which I'd prefer, but the idea of doing your frying/splattering/spilling outside and then you bring inside the finished product, with the cooking vessel its own serving vessel, is attractive. I can't do that with my griddle.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky