Flat or Whole Brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

salisboss

Fire Starter
Original poster
Apr 7, 2018
Doing my first smoke/brisket this weekend and I have one question:

Should I do a whole brisket or just get a flat? Is doing just the flat appreciably easier than doing the whole thing?

Personally I would do the whole brisket, it's much more forgiving than just smoking a flat.
The flat takes a little practice to keep it from drying out.
Al

I'll chime in and agree with Al here. I know some folks that do separate, but I personally think keeping the two together is the way to go. That flat can be a real challenge to cook it properly, without drying it out. I rotate my packers, always trying to leave the flattest part to the coolest side of the smoker.

Not saying you can't separate them, but if you are just getting started, I wouldn't.

Heck, I am doing my first pastrami from scratch, and even with that I felt a little uneasy about separating the two (but I did)...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky