Flat Iron Steak

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokinjim1

Original poster
Mar 22, 2015
TN
Smoked a small flat iron steak last night, it was a little frustrating had the usual stall at 135 degrees. I like to pull mine at 145 so with this stall it took about 2hr and 45 min.
Anyway it turned out pretty good. I use a Masterbilt electric smoker. I've had trouble with the smoke box that came with it, so couple years ago I bought one of the A-Maze-1 pellet things(not sure what you really call it ). Put pellets in it and light it, lay it on bottom rack and it works great.
I brushed it with low sodium Dales sauce then added Jeff Phillips Texas style rub.
I used Hickory pellets
IMG_20200728_195638820.jpg IMG_20200728_200344283.jpg

Last edited:
Looks great and perfectly cooked Jim. I love Flat Iron steak, but have only grilled it. I might have to try smoking it now after looking at yours.
Thanks for sharing.

Mike

That does look good. I'm a little surprised it stayed that pink at 145, but it looks nice. I just grilled a flat iron steak the other day, and really liked the flavor and tenderness.

Where are the best places to buy choice grade flat iron steaks? Do Costco or Sam's Club sell them? I really don't want to pay $10 a pound or more.

I get them when on sale at Kroger here in Ga. When on sale it's usually $6.99/lb. Well worth it. Love the marbling and flavor.

Mike

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky