Flank steak

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

shamong9

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 9, 2010
Shamong, NJ
I haven't  found or heard of anyone doing a flank steak. I am thinking about tenderizing it with a mallet, then putting a good steak rub on it. While smoking I plan to spray it with a red wine. I would like to hear from you all. I am not sure what wood to use. please help me out.

The secret with flank steak is to keep it medium to medium rare; being so thin you can overcook it quite easily.  You want to slice it at a 45° angle perpendicular to the grain (across the grain) for tenderest results.  Malletting might further compress the meat and take out needed moisture, but the more you experiment the more you'll like the results!  Let us know what you discover.  Your choice of wood is at your preference, mine invariably is hickory and/or mesquite, but I enjoy a hearty smoke, reeaallll hearty!

The flank steak is the traditional cut used for London Broil. It is long, thin, and full of tough connective tissue. It is usually marinated before being broiled or grilled whole. I have smoked them before, but I would do it low around 225º and take it to no more than 135º, then wrap and let rest for 30 minutes or so. Mojo Crillio would be great for marinating it.

I have tried using a straight red wine a couple of times and did not like the result. The wine and smoke did not meld for me . Your thought are dead on for a broiler or grill but the meat is so thin like Pops said that the wine took on too much smoke. I would suggest a mixture of garlic, olive oil red onion and some red wine in a marinade then smoked as an alterantive if that is the way you want to go- personally I agree with Mythmaster that Fajitas is one of the best options - I would rub with some olive oil and then rub with some chipotle and garlic and smoke to med rare then chop for tacos or enchiladas

Good luck and post up some qview    

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky