Flank Steak & Black Garlic

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Man that is a great looking meal. I wouldnt turn down a plate.
And I thought that honey bear looked familiar. Rafter H BBQ Rafter H BBQ sent me some of that honey, and it is some good stuff!

Jim

Reactions: bauchjw
I randomly caught a recipe online that involved black garlic and was intrigued. I had to order some online and so I’ll try a few things. Tonight was hectic, as always, so I couldn’t do anything special, but I seasoned some managers special flank steak Friday night so this was my first go.

I used the Traeger tonight. @Steve H was generous a while back with an extra A-maz-n tube and it’s been used almost weekly. Pellet pooper was 250, I took the flank up to 135 IT.
View attachment 654543
Once flank was at 135 they were pulled and rested for a bit. Then I used my new SV Christmas gift to hold them at 135 while I made sides. Still using random things to keep meat submerged 🤣
View attachment 654544

We went with polenta as a side with Brussel sprouts. For the sprouts I used one of several tasty gifts from Rafter H BBQ Rafter H BBQ and heated 4 tblspoons of huckleberry honey with about 3 of basaltic vinegar and whisked to incorporate.
View attachment 654546View attachment 654547
I used the air fryer for the sprouts at 400 for about 15 minutes. Then drizzled this huckleberry sauce over the sprouts.
View attachment 654548
Polenta was instant….4.5 cups chicken broth boiled and slow pour of polenta, off heat, whisking constantly. Once consistency was right added 1/2 stick butter. More would’ve been better!
View attachment 654549View attachment 654550
Than the black garlic……
View attachment 654551View attachment 654552View attachment 654553
There are a lot of options for Black Garlic. For this try I did plane black garlic butter and thyme.

Pulled the flank from hot water and seared.
View attachment 654555
Then rest, cut, and plate.
View attachment 654556View attachment 654557
So, Black Garlic….. I love it, but it’s not a silver bullet. The mallard reduces the bite of raw garlic and makes it very sweet. My issue is that there was too much sweet in this plate and not enough savory. Polenta (Corn) sweet, sprouts with honey/balsamic was sweet, and the butter with black garlic was drowned out with the meat. That being said, I loved the black garlic butter with salted/peppered meat on its own. Great meal and fun!

Thank you for your time!
Looks incredible! need to give it a go

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky