Fish head stew, smoked lingcod, opah, salmon milt, peppers and onions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

S-met

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jul 1, 2019
Nor Cal
Salmon head stew for breakfast. Korean inspired kimchi stew. Some big chunks of opah trim included since I have a filet on the smoker.

Filet of ling and opah on the smoker along with another section of milt (bro-in-law caught another chinook this week) and some peppers and onions for the freezer - chili in my near future. Q-view on its way when I pull the fish.

20191006_084914.jpg
20191006_090820.jpg
IMG_20191006_094313_652.jpg

It looks declicious. It pushes the boundaries of what I’ve had before but I’d give it a go. Now the milt I am not sure of :)

Q-view
Ling - off the-fuggin-hook amazing!

Opah - good, but very lean. I like a fattier piecewhen smoking. Probably will stick to sashimi and searing for the future.

Salmon milt - while the texture was somewhere between smoked oysters and scallops, but not a texture I care to finish. Doesn't happen often, but this piece is a dumper.

Peppers and onions are for the freezer, planning a chicken and white bean chili in a few weeks.
20191006_171232.jpg

Reactions: jcam222
Love ling cod.
Salmon is a no, as I don't like it.
Never had Opah that I recall.
Big no on milt or roe sacs as not my taste.
Still liked your post for creativity on your fish stew (tea) and mixed smoker tray.

Moved from the left coast many years ago and really miss the fresh sea food choices.
Have you thought about smoking Dungeness Crab?

Reactions: jcam222
I'd love to know how that stew goes together..been saving some fish heads for just that purpose but have no real recipe to govt :-)

Not an exact recipe as its a little bit of this and that:
1 large or 2-3 small fish heads.
Shitake mushrooms - de-stemmed (if dried, rehydrate for ~20min covered with boiling water, remove stems after rehydration and add liquid to your kettle).
1-2 sheets of kelp (slice dry with a sharp knife then let soak in hot h2o until soft, 10-20 min) add liquid to kettle.
1 block of firm tofu
Kimchi.
2 tablespoon Gochujang paste (Korean pepper paste) link for example.
2 tablespoons each red pepper flakes, fish sauce and soju or cooking wine.
One bunch of green onions
1-2 handfuls of bean sprouts (I didn't have any this time)
Head of garlic and a 1-1.5inch chunk of ginger finely chopped.

Add all ingredients except for kimchi and fish head into the kettle. Bring to a simmer for 15 minutes. Then add fish head and simmer for 30-45 min. Add jar/package of kimchi (about 8-10 oz) including liquid and simmer for another 5 min. Then cut the heat.
If adding other fish, add now. Then serve.

When you get around to making it, message me with any questions.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky