First whole chicken

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

0331grunt

Fire Starter
Original poster
Feb 5, 2010
Webbers Falls, OK
I was just wondering if I did this right.  I injected the bird, rubbed with salted butter and put on my smoker at about 250* for the last 4 1/2 hours.  I used hickory (all I had) and need it to be done soon.  I heated my oven to 275 and just put it in there.  I will check it and see how it comes out.  Is there anything I should be doing different?  I know this is a rookie/newbie question, but I am practicing for the Turkey Day bird... my in-laws want me to smoke the turkey this year.  Thanks!!

What was the internal temp of the bird when you pulled it off the smoker and what is it now???

What was the internal temp of the bird when you pulled it off the smoker and what is it now???
The most important thing is the temp not the time. You only need to go to 165 and let it rest before slicing. Seems like it has been in for a long time at that temp

icon_cool.gif

I'm with both of theses guys here. We are more concerned with internal temp not time. If your bird gets to 165° in the breast or 170° in the thigh you are golden and let the bird rest for a few minutes(20-30) and then cut into it. Now that will be one of the best birds that you will ever put in your mouth.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky