First whole chicken smoke for group

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cwsartain

Original poster
Jan 11, 2017
I am going to smoke 10 whole chickens for our men's church group outing in a few weeks. I have a large stick burning reverse flow smoker that I'll be cooking the birds on. This will be my first attempt at cooking a whole chicken on it, I usually just do ribs and wings.

So I wanted to get advice from you experts before I start the cook. Brine? Temp? Est. Time? Other advice?

I am going to smoke 10 whole chickens for our men's church group outing in a few weeks. I have a large stick burning reverse flow smoker that I'll be cooking the birds on. This will be my first attempt at cooking a whole chicken on it, I usually just do ribs and wings.

So I wanted to get advice from you experts before I start the cook. Brine? Temp? Est. Time? Other advice?
If you have the time I would definitely brine the birds.

Here is a popular brine that many of us use.

Slaughterhouse Poultry Brine By Tip Piper of Hillbilly Vittles
1 ½ Gal Water
½ C Salt - Kosher
½ C Dark Brown Sugar
2 tsp Garlic Powder
2 tsp Onion Powder
2 tsp Cajun Spice (Louisiana Cajun Seasoning)
2 tsp Celery Seed

I would also spatchcock the chickens if you have room in your smoker.

Smoke them at 300-325 for crispy or at least bite thru skin.

Your probably looking at 20 min per pound at 325.

Good luck!

Al

Out of curiosity why whole birds? For large groups I have found that whole birds don't work well. You'll always have someone that doesn't get the particular piece he/she wants. You also end up with more waste as some parts don't get eaten and lots of meat is left on the carcass.

How many are you cooking for?

Your best bet it to cook thighs. Boneless skinless is the best. Shred the meat for pulled chicken sandwiches.

If you are dead set on whole birds I would spatchcock them and not leave them whole. This will allow the birds to cook evenly.

No matter what you decide have a good instant read therm so you can check the internal temp of all the birds. Pull them off when you get 165 in the breast.

Give the poultry section here a read

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/191066/dirtsailors-mega-mother-of-all-cooking-links-index

Last edited:
This is great info!! Ian cooking for 30-40 guys. I'm really open to anything as far as what to cook. I have my baby backs down pat so I may do 8 slabs of those with some chicken and sausage.

Ribs with chicken and sausage sounds good. I'd figure 2 ribs per person, 1/3 pound shredded chicken thighs and 1 sausage. Do a side of slaw and beans.

In this thread the marinade is an excellent choice for chicken. As posted there's enough marinade for 2-3 pounds uncooked meat. Scale up as needed. The salad in the thread is a great side too.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/213869/roadside-chicken

If you use boneless skinless thighs you get 70% yield from the uncooked weight.

Use small buns for the shredded chicken. Makes the 1/3 pound look like it's more and if it's self serve people are less likely to take massive amounts.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky