First Welding Project Ever: Table Top Santa Maria Grill (Pretty Cool, W/ Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
I looked through all the sub forums and did not see one for grill building and I guess that makes sense, so I just put this in General Discussion.

Over the past several years there have been a bunch of times I wished I had a welder. Finally broke down and bought one a couple weeks ago. Did one little thing (smoker wood grate for my big smoker) and you sure could tell that I'd never welded anything in my life :emoji_laughing: Not to be discouraged I decided to undertake a little project just for the fun of it and to see if I could do it. Please bear in mind that my metal working tools are very rudimentary at best. Basically I have a Sawzall, a 4" grinder, and a drill. That's about it so did the best I could with what I had.

Here's what I started with. An assortment of stock steel.
IMG_3962.JPG

A rusty old charcoal pan that came with my smoker. It was included so you could use the smoker as a grill also. Don't need it and never used it. Been sitting in the garage for several years
IMG_3963.JPG

A light duty cooking grate that I have no idea where it came from but it too has been in the garage for years
IMG_3964.JPG

First thing was to cut the handles off the charcoal pan, somewhat sand it down, cut the legs, and weld them onto the pan
IMG_3965.JPG

Build the vertical tower and install it
IMG_3968.JPG

IMG_3969.JPG

The steel on the cooking grate was really lightweight so I tore it apart, cut the diamond shaped grate material down to size, and built a new grate with much heavier steel
IMG_3970.JPG

Then was to fabricate the cradle that the grate would sit in
IMG_3973.JPG

Perfect fit after one modification to the cradle. Had it just a bit too small the first time
IMG_3976.JPG

The spindle and crank handle. This is 1/2" round steel
IMG_3977.JPG

Mark where the holes are to be drilled on the tower for the spindle and drill them. Please note the guides welded onto the sides of the cradle.
IMG_3988.JPG

Sanded, primed, and first coat of finish paint. The color of the charcoal pan is actually matte black high temp grill paint. It looks gray in the pic but it's not. The spindle and crank handle are over sized here and will be cut to fit when the rest of the goodies show up that I need.
IMG_3999.JPG

Cut things down to correct size, install cables, spring handle, ratcheting gear, and lock mechanism for the gear.
IMG_4105.JPG

Last thing was to cut the fire retardant material to line the inside and we're done
IMG_4107.JPG

IMG_4109.JPG

You sure can tell that I need a LOT more practice welding but the confidence level came up a lot as I went through all of this. It was a ton of fun and a heck of a great learning experience. I will not be cooking on this though. It is intended to be a Christmas present for somebody, most likely a forum member who I do a gift exchange with. I know that my friend John ( SmokinVOLfan SmokinVOLfan ) is gonna want one of these as soon as he sees it, but he's gonna want one considerably bigger. He LOVES the SM grills and this is sure to get his attention. I'm already thinking through the nest project with will probably be a larger version of this with a rotisserie setup. Now I just need to find some larger plate steel but I think I know where I can get some. Will probably drop by there a bit later today with fingers crossed.

Oh well, this one was an interesting endeavor and am really looking forward to the next one. Y'all take care and stay safe.

Robert

Last edited:
Got to give you an A for effort! Don't think I could ever take on that project. I just use my barrel grill that I can raise and lower cooking grate but would love something like that.

Looks great, I also always said I want a welder to play with. Where did you get yours from? Harbour freight?

Hell yeah Robert! For someone who has never welded before I would call that a monstrous success man! You are correct I have had my eye on one for quite some time but haven't pulled the trigger. Might just have to contract you to build me one. Seriously though that is amazing. I bet with a couple cases of White Claw's and the Prince greatest hits CD we could persuade Joe xray xray to drive it up here to me!

What no roto option ?
Looks great Robert . Nice design .
Not judging your welds , but if you're using the wire that came with that welder think about replacing it with some better quality wire . I bought a lower end Harbor freight welder and the wire was crap . Changed it out and big difference .

Looks like a nice job Robert, I still use a hammer to put screws in so your 1000x ahead of me.

Nice way to step out of your comfort zone and learn a new skill. That’s fantastic. That little SM grill looks pretty dang handy to me. I like it.

Looks great Robert and pretty damn awesome for your first welding job!

Hell yeah Robert! For someone who has never welded before I would call that a monstrous success man! You are correct I have had my eye on one for quite some time but haven't pulled the trigger. Might just have to contract you to build me one. Seriously though that is amazing. I bet with a couple cases of White Claw's and the Prince greatest hits CD we could persuade Joe xray xray to drive it up here to me!

I pretty much would have to, I mean how you gonna fit that thing in your Prius??

The finished Grill came out to be a Beautiful piece of cooking equipment. Great job...JJ

Great job, Robert. I can't wait to see your first cook on it. Tri-tip maybe? :emoji_grinning: :emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup:

Excellent work! Getting a welder and learning that skill is still on my to do list

Thank you!! I'm kicking myself for waiting s long to get one. I'll say this though, welding is an art form and it's gonna take me some practice.

That is way cool ! You have nice talent to be able to bring your idea to completion. Points from me !!

Very much appreciate it. I was kinda intimidated starting out but am happy with the finished product.

. I just use my barrel grill that I can raise and lower cooking grate but would love something like that.

Well Brian, if we plan ahead and have the materials here when you show up, we can sure as heck build you one :emoji_wink:

Robert

Reactions: Ringer
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky