First Turkey Smoke Need Help

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I think next time I'll go breast side down  at the start for at least 1 1/2 hours judging from the juices that accumulated in the cavity. I injected the breast from the inside, which I think helped it retain it's juices when I turned it over. Also in my wsm, I think 275 instead of 300 will work better. The darkened skin, I think was caused by excessive smoke ( as someone suggested) and heat caused by a flare up of the wood chunks early in the smoke. I think a couple of small chunks of hickory would be all that's required and let the smoke die down before puttin the turkey in. Mine was still smokin too much when I put the turkey on. The skin was black and bitter even with the added apple. But the meat was a good mild smoky flavor still. I guess the skin sealed and protected the meat from absorbing too much smoke. I pulled it when the breast was 165. The legs were 180 and the thighs were 155. My question is.. will foiling work to prevent overcooking of the legs and breast to get the thighs up to temp or am I goin to have to cut the bird up as different parts get done? I really don't want to compromise the temp of the breast to get the thighs completely cooked. I know quite a few of you cooked birds yesterday and today so please let me know what you did.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky