First Turkey...questions and help!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

harclerode76

Original poster
Nov 24, 2016
16lb bird in the smoker, been running for almost 2 hours and its not getting past 200 degrees.
Starting to brown on the bottom. Could the thermometer be reading low due to the bird being in the way? It's also only about 40 degrees and overcast outside.
Dinner's at 4, how screwed am I?

What smoker do you have & what therm are you using?

Also I'm moving this to the poultry section, I think you will get more responses there.

Al

Reactions: harclerode76
What smoker do you have & what therm are you using?

Also I'm moving this to the poultry section, I think you will get more responses there.

Al

Great Outdoors Smoky Mountain Series (from Lowes), by a company called Landmann. Weber thermometer.

I have a little 26" electric landmann and I had similar issues. You need to get a digital therm with a probe that you can use for smoker temp. The thermometer on my smoker was off about 20 degrees.

The thermometer on the smoker itself reads about 20-25 degrees low on mine. Also, avoid opening the door as much as possible. Mine loses a lot of heat whenever the door is open for very long.

Reactions: harclerode76
The thermometer on the smoker itself reads about 20-25 degrees low on mine. Also, avoid opening the door as much as possible. Mine loses a lot of heat whenever the door is open for very long.

Phew! The bird itself is temping on track, hour 4 just started and it's at 140° minimum throughout. I let the Weber digital thermometer hang inside and its about 20 degrees higher than the Landmann therm.
Thanks man!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky