First try at summer sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bobdog46

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Sep 11, 2010
Ponchatoula Louisiana
Just got a Master Forge double door propane smoker. Seasoned it, now have 20 lbs of venison summer sausage cooking on it.  I used the High Mt Summer Sausage Kit.  I am following the directions on the package.  Any suggestions that might help me ? I will post pics of the finished product.
cc0a9543_Photo01011008_1.jpg

The directions did not say anything about the water pan -  I am using it for this project - Is this right or do I need to take the water pan out ?     Thanks 

I have seen some recipes call for an ice water bath as soon as the sausage is done.  Is this necessary and what does this do to the sausage?

The ice bath stops the cooking process.the water pan just helps keep the temps stable.

Last edited:
Looks good, I have been making SS using the High B&P and get some high temp cheese for my last batch.

I like the way you hung your sausages, I have been laying mine on the rack and next batch I will hang, sometimes

the ends get little burned but not a big deal

I get mine to 165 deg and then give them an ice bath and refrigerate .

Next day I will vacum seal all but one log, I do cut most of the logs in half.

I gave several logs away as Christmas gifts and folks love them

One thing I never tried is heating them up before you eat it, friend of mine slices them up and nukes em for about 30-40 seconds so I tried that

and it really seems to bring the flavor out even more.

Good luck and let us know how you like them, I kept having bunch of deer burger left over each year and this is a great way to use it up

and I keep several logs in the freezer and then take them out and we munch on it for couple of days.

I keep looking at doing my own seasoning but the kits are so much easier and work great but if you like cheese get some of the high temp cheese for a batch

Okay - It came out great. Got the internal temp to 160 after 8 hrs, Ice water bath then the refriderator. Will cut and freeze today.  Next time I will add jalapenos and cheese.  I finished early enough that I did some snack stix, they came out great also.  See pics.   Tonight I will put some jerky on the smoker and see how that comes out.    Thanks for the help
ef699c71_Photo01012040.jpg
91c3604d_Photo01012156.jpg

All looks real good!

I go to at least 160˚ too.

That way if one or two spots are a few degrees lower than the rest---no problem.

Great job,

Bear

icon_cool.gif

Everything looks great to me. I have used that Hi mountian kit before and it produces some mighty find summer sausage too. I like it alot.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky