First try at Dino ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Thomas The Tank

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Mar 24, 2018
Valparaiso, IN
First run with the Dino ribs did not disappoint! Threw them on the BFG for about 8.5hrs, probe tender at 200.

About the only thing I might do different next time is either spritz them more towards the end or wrap them around 190 to soften up the bark a bit. I saw a guy on YouTube do this for that reason. I got a case of them, they are St Helens (same company as SRF) so I got 7 more to try out.

C7AE83BE-5035-4611-A704-02918CC58796.jpeg
2F9271C0-87E9-4EC5-9EBB-63441126505C.jpeg
153058D8-13DA-4C82-949F-1254ABE41FBA.jpeg
70EBAAD2-A326-46A0-95C4-7D9A0C84CEB3.png

Last edited:
That's some meaty ribs, I just can't find em around here that aren't trimmed close to the bone.
Looks Great

Gary

Reactions: Thomas The Tank
That's some meaty ribs, I just can't find em around here that aren't trimmed close to the bone. Looks Great Gary

If there's a Sam's Club nearby they ought to have some pretty nice dino ribs Gary. They are seldom if ever out on the display case, to have to ring the bell and speak to the butcher. Usually come cryo-vacked, two 3-ribbers 13-14 pounds. RAY

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: negolien
They look fantastic!! One of my top favorite things to smoke and eat. Never heard of St. Helens before.....
Yeah it is a branch of Agri Beef. They are SRF, Double R Ranch, St Helens, and another one. St Helens is Choice Angus. The case I got said “choice or higher”

Reactions: jcam222
If there's a Sam's Club nearby they ought to have some pretty nice dino ribs Gary. They are seldom if ever out on the display case, to have to ring the bell and speak to the butcher. Usually come cryo-vacked, two 3-ribbers 13-14 pounds. RAY

Thanks for this info. I checked my Sams online and they show they have them.

Reactions: jcam222
I am not a member of Sams club, but I've contemplated joining just so I can get some beef ribs like this. Are they always this expensive though? Seem extremely pricey!

Out of curiosity, is it worth cooking beef back ribs? Kroger usually has them, and they aren't too expensive. I know they don't have a ton of meat on them though. If they're worth it, how would you go about cooking them?

I got my beef short ribs (123a plate) from a meat packing company in Chicago. They were $5.05/lb for high choice. I feel like it was worth it for the case I got.

never done beef back ribs, so can’t help ya there. Maybe someone else can chime in or doing a search might lead you to someone that has done them.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky