first try at a couple of pork butts

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

stjoeguy1122

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Feb 6, 2012
St Joseph, Missouri
I decided to try my hand at pork butts . .  after gathering more info then I could process I started . .

I did one naked and no injection... the other I used Jeff's rub over EVOO and injected about 1oz of apple juice . .I started at 10pm last night,  smoked in my MES 30 at 220, it hit IT 160 about 5:30 in the morning. . . I put in a pan with about a cup of the drippings covered and continued to IT of 190-200 . . just pulled from pan and TFC, planning on resting for 1-1.5 hours before pulling . .

c6ffa1af_justoutofsmokerheadingtopan.jpg

6eb11c32_headingforcooler.jpg

I'll post the pulled pictures in an hour or so

Looks great!!! How was the naked butt? yea this place is like trying to buy a new truck, HA HA!! How do you like the overnight smoke rather than a day smoke? I sleep like a baby during the overnighters and always wake up at 5:30am!!!

Looks awesome, definitely want to hear how much difference in flavor you can taste with the injected and rubbed one vs. the nekkid one.

Looks great!!! How was the naked butt? yea this place is like trying to buy a new truck, HA HA!! How do you like the overnight smoke rather than a day smoke? I sleep like a baby during the overnighters and always wake up at 5:30am!!!
I really couldn't tell the difference between them, other then the bark having a different flavor. had a little problem with my AMNPS unit but Todd help me figure it out, was the first time I filled the unit. I think the overnight smoke was much better, doing a long day smoke I tend to be hovering, second guessing my probes. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky