First time!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
At this rate we might be ordering pizza!!
Don't do that. Give them 2 hours in the smoker at whatever temperature you can get it up to and then foil them and place them in the oven at about 300 F for a further 2 hours. Check for pull back and if they need longer give them another hour at about 250 F (checking them after 30 minutes).

They will be picking up the smoke flavour while they are in the smoker so they will still taste good.

Reactions: mike5051

Don't do that. Give them 2 hours in the smoker at whatever temperature you can get it up to and then foil them and place them in the oven at about 300 F for a further 2 hours. Check for pull back and if they need longer give them another hour at about 250 F (checking them after 30 minutes).

They will be picking up the smoke flavour while they are in the smoker so they will still taste good.
Good call Wade!  "Points"

Mike

That is good. Situations like this are usually salvageable. Now, before you do your next smoke with meat, do a couple of dummy runs with the smoker to try to get the temperature higher. A couple of things to try - in the order that I would try them...
  1. Were you relying on the lid thermometer? These are notoriously inaccurate. The temperature inside could have actually been a lot higher (or lower) than you thought. Invest in a good digital thermometer - like a Maverick ET-732/733 -  so that you can know what the temperature actually is on the cooking grate.
  2. Make sure that you are using good restaurant grade quality briquettes as these give out more heat than charcoal over a longer period of time
  3. Make sure that the smoker is in a sheltered spot. Even a slight wind can seriously affect the internal temperature as it causes the smoker to loose heat quite rapidly
  4. Could you connect the propane so that it can be used to increase the temperature if needed?
  5. Wrap the smoker body with some insulation during the smoke. It needs to be fireproof and a welding blanket works well.
Hopefully by the time you reach #4 you will have solved the problem

Hello again! I am getting ready to smoke some chicken thighs wrapped in bacon. I used a buttermilk brine. Going to dry them off and let sit. I have read several forums who said not to use a water pan or the bacon won't get crisp...wondering your thoughts..you were such a big help with my inaugural ribs.

texas.gif
  Good morning and welcome to the forum, from a beautiful  hot and humid day here in East Texas, and the best site on the web. Lots of great people with tons of information on just about  everything.

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky