First Time with shortribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokenbonez

Original poster
Jul 22, 2013
Hey folks, been smoking in for about 10 years and I'm ashamed to say I've never smoke any short ribs. I know I know, how can I say I'm a smoker if I've never smoked short ribs. Well we're not all perfect. I have finally found a good supply of decent quality beef short ribs and pick myself up two four bone slabs this afternoon. I'm still feeling a little lazy because of the cold, so I'm going to break out the traeger and smoke them up this weekend.

I would like to get some suggestions on type of wood, type of seasonings, temperature and time. When I've never smoked something before I usually try and get all the suggestions I can and experiment here and there to find out which ones work best for my liking. So if you've done short ribs a lot and you had some great suggestions and methods you like to use, go ahead and hit me with them and I'm going to start experimenting starting this week.

Reactions: kruizer
I typically season them with Montreal Steak, and run the pellet grill at 250F. I may start lower for an hour or so to get more smoke. Hickory is all that I use. Sounds like these are chuck ribs, they usually take between 7 and 9 hours.

Reactions: kruizer
I go pretty simple. I rub with coarse S&P and granulated garlic and onion. When it’s a nice slurry on the surface I dust with a light layer of espresso. Smoke to between 190F 205F when probe tender. I never wrap them. I like to do them with the pit around 275F.

Reactions: texomakid
Post oak only here. All you really need is course Kosher salt and course pepper. I use a light slather of yellow mustard to help the rub stick and I only season the stop and sides. Don't take the membrane off. I run them at 275 most of the time until probe tender between the bones. Should feel like a bag of melted butter. You should also be able to easily probe through the first membrane - which is before you get to the bottom membrane. I never wrap because it softens the bark. Let them rest for at least 30 minutes. Longer will be better if you can hold the temp at 145-150. If I'm going to hold them I will wrap loosely in butcher paper.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky