• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

First time whole turkey in my MES.

olmy

Joined Aug 21, 2013
I am preparing to smoke up a whole butterball in my MES30 on sunday. I have yet to smoke any poultry to date and I am a little concerned about the amount of smoke to put to it. I don't yet have an AMNPS which seems to be the easiest way to get TBS so I am just using the chip pan. Also wondering what wood people prefer with their poultry? If anyone has any suggestions or comments it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Ryan

guruatbol

Meat Mopper
Joined Dec 8, 2013
I have used Hickery on my first turkey.  Was awesome.  We brine it as well. It was a salt water brine.  The second bird we did with Pecan and ran out so finished it off with Cherry.  I was a fresh home raised bird and had a different more rich taste and a different texture.  Kind of rubbery.

I read here that if your brine a bird too long it can make it rubbery.

Other than that I can't be of much help since I am new to smoking.

Mel

oldschoolbbq

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Jul 16, 2008
Ryan, Apple wood is good for Poultry. High heat and a Spatch job on the carcase helps with skin too ( more surface to get close to the heat...) and make sure the skin is well dried and placed in 'reefer to get the outside crusty dry.

Have fun and . . .

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.