First time whole turkey in my MES.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

olmy

Original poster
Aug 21, 2013
Ontario,Canada
I am preparing to smoke up a whole butterball in my MES30 on sunday. I have yet to smoke any poultry to date and I am a little concerned about the amount of smoke to put to it. I don't yet have an AMNPS which seems to be the easiest way to get TBS so I am just using the chip pan. Also wondering what wood people prefer with their poultry? If anyone has any suggestions or comments it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Ryan

I have used Hickery on my first turkey.  Was awesome.  We brine it as well. It was a salt water brine.  The second bird we did with Pecan and ran out so finished it off with Cherry.  I was a fresh home raised bird and had a different more rich taste and a different texture.  Kind of rubbery.

I read here that if your brine a bird too long it can make it rubbery.

Other than that I can't be of much help since I am new to smoking.

Mel

Ryan, Apple wood is good for Poultry. High heat and a Spatch job on the carcase helps with skin too ( more surface to get close to the heat...) and make sure the skin is well dried and placed in 'reefer to get the outside crusty dry.
confused.gif

Have fun and . . .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky