First time wet curing pork belly

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
The amount of water depends on the container you will use to cure the meat. The meat needs to be submerged at all times during the cure.
Choose your container
Add the meat
Add enough water to completely cover all pieces for the long haul
Remove the meat, then measure or weigh the water inside the container
Use that weight plus weight of the meat to plug into the calculator
Use that same water or same amount of water when mixing the cure

Reactions: bigolebillsbbq
The cure percentage is 0.25%
The number to use to calculate is 0.0025 multiplied by 1000 = 2.5.(in grams)
As stated you can use pop’s brine, it works fine, but if you want to do things right, weigh the meat, salt and cure #1 and apply in appropriate % to meat weight. Once you get used to it this is the best way.
454 grams per pound. So weigh in pounds and multiply that number by 454 for the meat.

I used Jeff's method. The bacon came out great. I wish I would have taken more photos. Shared a bunch with family and friends. They all keep asking when I am making more.

Reactions: bigolebillsbbq

I used Jeff's method. The bacon came out great. I wish I would have taken more photos. Shared a bunch with family and friends. They all keep asking when I am making more.
Try doing a dry brine next go for comparison. Wouldn't surprise me if you find it to be even better.

Your saying Pop's brine isn't right... I disagree with this ... Pop's brine is right as well.. and as said.. WAYYYYYY easier
I do disagree with you on this Keith. Pops brine,,,,,,,,, it’s absolutely marginal, but if it works for you, that’s great. I myself will never use it again. I do respect the fact that you and many others here like it and use it though.

Yeah I guess if I used 1 gallon of water with an 8.5 pound belly 1 heaping tablespoon of cure would work perfectly! Thank you!

Yeah I will definitely try that on my next go!
Nothing overly complicated. Weigh meat, calculate amounts of cure#1, salt, and sugar needed for that weight. Mix the ingredients up, and apply about half of it to each side, including the edges. Bag it up and let it ride about 14 days, massaging and flipping, daily. The last one I did, I also dusted with coarse black pepper and granulated garlic after applying the cure.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky