First Time Venison Ring Bologna

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

slavikborisov

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 24, 2021
Pennsylvania
A little background I've had very little exposure to sausage making and I just purchased all my equipment this year and just finished up my smoker beyond that Ive cooked at a restaurant in highschool so this is all new to me but I tend to research and try to get a good grasp of what Im getting into before spending lots of money. I had a bunch of venison beef and pork in the freezer so decided to try ring bologna. I converted all of this to kilogram to keep my formulation recipe much easier to follow in gram per kilogram.
My meats were
15.1kg (33lb) venison 99-100% lean
16.3 kg (35lb) pork butt i assumed 20-25% fat for this
12.75 kg (28 lb) beef burger i had in my freezer from a half i bought last year i assumed 20-25% fat for this
So if my fat estimates were accurate it left me with about 15% fat content

First grind on 3/16 second grind on 1/8 plate. Stuffed into 43mm Collagen rounds from LEM. Meat kept at 34-36F the whole time.

I did 4 batches. Two were premixed from Pittsburg spice company first time ever using them but I saw someone recommend them on this for and I live in PA so i figured I'd give it a shot. The other two were my own formulations I came up with. This was my first time ever making bologna and first time ever making my own recipe thanks to the internet, this forum, and youtube Duncan Henry channel specifically I was able to make really good bologna I recommend any newbies watch his channel.

My first recipe
17g/kg salt
4g/kg black pepper
4g/kg garlic powder
2g/kg onion powder
2g/kg smoked paprika
4g/kg mustard seed
1g/kg ground coriander
10g/kg NFDM powder
2.5g/kg cure #1
0.5g/kg sodium erythorbate
100g/kg water

My second recipe
17g/kg salt
4g/kg black pepper
4g/kg garlic powder
2g/kg onion powder
2g/kg smoked paprika
4g/kg mustard seed
1g/kg celery seed
0.5g/kg marjoram
10g/kg NFDM powder
2.5g/kg cure #1
0.5g/kg sodium erythorbate
100g/kg water

(Note on the sodium erythorbate: I added this as cure accelerator as I wasn't sure if I was gonna throw it on the smoker immediately or not) It ended up sitting in fridge for 8 hours but it isn't necessary if you hold it overnight. A gram scale to .01 gram is absolutely essential for this)

Pittsburg spice Co: Venision bologna seasoning and Trail Bologna seasoning kit
Started the smoker at 160F (low as it will go and filled a cold smoke ring with pellets for extra smoke for first 3 hours with one pellet hopper turned on)
after two rounds of smoke with the cold smoke ring and IT of 100-110F I turned it up to 180 till 130 IT. With one pellet hopper running and 20F outside it stalled out at around 130 so I decided to fire up the second hopper at 180 then 200 and the temps started climbing. Pulled every thing at 152 -154 IT. Ice bath till 95F then fridge overnight. Turned out excellent!

IMG-1776.jpg
IMG-1777.jpg
IMG-1778 (2).jpg
IMG-1780.jpg
IMG-1782.jpg
IMG-1783.jpg
IMG-1784.jpg
IMG-1788.jpg
IMG-1790.jpg
IMG-1792.jpg
IMG-1809.jpg
IMG-1811.jpg
IMG-1812.jpg
IMG-1813.jpg
IMG-1815.jpg
IMG-1816.jpg
IMG-1817.jpg
IMG-1818.jpg
IMG-1820.jpg
IMG-1822.jpg
IMG-1823.jpg

Last edited:
Looks great to me. You did a very nice job all around. Congratulations on the maiden run. Nice equipment too!

Note on the sodium erythorbate: I added this as cure accelerator as I wasn't sure if I was gonna throw it on the smoker immediately or not) It ended up sitting in fridge for 8 hours but it isn't necessary if you hold it overnight. A gram scale to .01 gram is absolutely essential for this)

It’s true that SE is a cure accelerator, but it also is an antioxidant, a preservative and can help meats store longer as it helps stop rancidity in fat, it also is a color fixer helping the pinkish cured color stay brighter.
I use erythorbate in most all of my sausage and also in my ham injections. SE is the sodium of ascorbic acid (vitamin C).

A little background I've had very little exposure to sausage making and I just purchased all my equipment this year and just finished up my smoker beyond that Ive cooked at a restaurant in high school so this is all new to me but I tend to research and try to get a good grasp of what I'm getting into before spending lots of money.
Looks and sounds like you have it figured out . In my opinion the best way to learn is to figure it out , just like you did . Really nice work .
Nice equipment too .

Reactions: slavikborisov
Looks great to me. You did a very nice job all around. Congratulations on the maiden run. Nice equipment too!

It’s true that SE is a cure accelerator, but it also is an antioxidant, a preservative and can help meats store longer as it helps stop rancidity in fat, it also is a color fixer helping the pinkish cured color stay brighter.
I use erythorbate in most all of my sausage and also in my ham injections. SE is the sodium of ascorbic acid (vitamin C).
Thanks!! Yea that’s what I read so I figured it wouldn’t hurt to put it in there

Looks and sounds like you have it figured out . In my opinion the best way to learn is to figure it out , just like you did . Really nice work .
Nice equipment too .
Thank you! And yeah I figured might as well go big or go home and start with almost 100lb batch.

Wow! That is diving into the deep end! Looks like an incredible maiden voyage, your hard work up front definitely made it happen! Awesome work brother, you crushed that one!

Awesome job! Sausages look great. Way to jump in with both feet. I agree-nice equipment....make it easier. Only critic for improvement would be to allow 1" of space in the smokehouse between links for even heat and smoke distribution.
I'll be making trail bologna with Canada geese soon....

Awesome job! Sausages look great. Way to jump in with both feet. I agree-nice equipment....make it easier. Only critic for improvement would be to allow 1" of space in the smokehouse between links for even heat and smoke distribution.
I'll be making trail bologna with Canada geese soon....
Yea lol I noticed after I got it all hung up in there and I had to spread them a couple times throughout the cook.

Reactions: indaswamp
Nice job!
What bologna recipe or mix came out the best???

Just some FYI.

If you order the lebanon bologna mix from them you will need to mix, stuff smoke the same day. Dont let the meat or chubs rest overnight in the fridge as they use ECA in this mix.

Nice job!
What bologna recipe or mix came out the best???
I liked my mix the best with the coriander and mustards seeds. I think that little extra bite/crunch was subtle but very good. The venison bologna mix from pitt's was good and had a bit more of a bite to it due to the red pepper flakes which came out very nice. I'd honestly make them all again as they were very tasty!

Reactions: tallbm
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky