First time using the minion method

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mattyoc20

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Aug 11, 2013
Dresher PA
Got a 10 lbs pork butt in the WSM 18.5 at 4 am this morning.  I am using the minion method for the first time thinking it would help me with coal/heat management.  I filled the ring to the top hoping that it would last the length of the smoke 10-15 hours.  I am going on 6 hours and the coals are all but dead.  I just lit another full chimney to add more coals  Am i missing something to doing something wrong.  I am keeping the temps between 225-240.  Thanks for the help

Cold weather and windy conditions can up coal consumption dramatically. One thing you can do is put less water in the pan or use a clay flower pot saucer in place of the water. It takes a lot of Btu's to boil all that water

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky