First time using my remote thermo

Discussion in 'Meat Thermometers' started by jeff 1, Feb 12, 2011.

1. jeff 1

jeff 1 Smoke Blower

This thing is cool,  I got it at walmart so its nothing fancy.  I have it in my brinkman vertical smoker hanging through a hunk of hickory on the top rack,  it is about 1"-2" from my boston butt.  Comparing it with the factory thermo gauge in the door I am amazed at how slow and off the factory one is.

I do have one question though,  If I were to buy a second or third one would they interfere with each others signal?

2. I used to have two of the same ones you got and they never interfered with each other

3. bearcarver

bearcarver Smoking Guru OTBS Member

So far all discussions I have read say "NO Problem".

Bear

4. les3176

les3176 Master of the Pit

Shouldn't be...i use 2 mavericks all the time with no problems.

5. rbranstner

rbranstner Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Yea I use two mavericks as well and they never seem to interfere with each other. I don't know how it works but they don't. I don't know if each one is on its own frequency or what???? I am still waiting to hear the answer to that. If for some reason you go two units that were on the same frequency you would think they would interfere with each other. 

6. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

I have several Taylors & AccuRites, if you turn them on one at a time they sink up with the receiver you just turned on not the one that has sinked up already. I don't know how they just do it. I don't think they could all be different frequency's. I'm sure someone with more knowledge will come along soon.

7. bearcarver

bearcarver Smoking Guru OTBS Member

This is probably why the Mavericks don't interfere with each other:

The Maverick Redi Chek® Smoker needs the receiver to register the radio frequency signal from the transmitter.

Registering Receiver & Transmitter

1. Plug the stainless steel probe sensors into the corresponding plug ins of the transmitter.

2. Remove the battery compartment door of the transmitter

3. Turn the Receiver on by sliding switch on the rear of the receiver from OFF to ON.

4. Turn Transmitter on by sliding switch on the rear of the transmitter from OFF to ON. This needs to be

done within 60 seconds of turning on the receiver in order for the receiver to register the signal from the

transmitter. If it doesn’t beep within 5-10 seconds slide switch OFF wait a few seconds and then switch back

ON. Pressing and holding the TX button for 2 seconds will do the same thing as turning transmitter OFF

and then back ON.

5. Registration is complete when the unit beeps and the probe temperature appears where the “---” was

flashing. Replace the transmitter battery door. Turn screw counterclockwise to lock.

Bear