First time using my new AMNPS

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bertman

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Nov 27, 2013
Heartland of America
I smoked cheese once before using a WSM on a brutally cold day. The cheese on that day melted slightly, but was still incredibly good. I have read much advice on this forum, and the concensus seems to be to let it age for a few weeks before enjoying. I already know that that probably won't happen. My willpower is not that strong.

So to make sure I have enough a few weeks from now, I am smoking six different cheeses:

(There was also one other store brand white cheddar that I apparently didn't get a picture of).

I'm anxious to see how the AMNPS works. I've read some mixed reviews, but I have the vent wide open on my MES and the loader tray pulled out about an inch or so. It is 33 degrees outside, so I don't think I should worry about the smoker getting over 70 (it isn't even on) inside. It's a nice day to kick back, let the AMNPS do it's thing, and enjoy some Winter Olympics.

Two-and-a-half hours later, still getting steady smoke.

I've checked on the cheese about three times now, to make sure it isn't getting too warm in there. The cheese is starting to get a wonderful carmel color, and the smoker is FULL of smoke each time (better than I ever got using the loader tray alone). I can't wait to use this AMNPS on pork butts and sausage!

If the smoke will cooperate, I'm going to leave these in for four hours.

Finished product:

A couple of the blocks got a little warm, but this was better than my last attempt. I still have some learning to do. I have a set up I created using some dryer vent hose and an old styrofoam cooler. I might be a mailbox away from having a great cold smoking system.

Oh, and don't look too closely at this pic. You can see where I sampled. I told you in my first post I have no willpower!

Well done. I had the same exact idea. Did my first cold smoke today. Did it in cos smoke hollow with an AMNPS. Apple pellets. Still waiting the outcome.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky