First time use and Thermometer

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kevin8967

Original poster
Apr 8, 2015
This is the first time I am using my Electric 30" masterbilt smoker and I have the Maverick Redicheck thermometer.  My question is how do I get the probe in to the cooker.  Do I just put it in the door and close the door on the wire.  My fear is by doing that I will damage the cord to the probe.

I think I figured it out.  I can feed the probe in to the smoker through the vent on the top of the smoker.

The vent seems to be the preferred way but you really won't damage anything in the door. My MES has the adjustable latch so I adjust it as loose as it will go while not creating any leaks and run them through the door as needed (running 3 wires through the vent creates a tangled mess so I will run 1 or 2 through the door)

I think I figured it out.  I can feed the probe in to the smoker through the vent on the top of the smoker.
I run the probe wires through the vent hole. I don't want anything to compromise the integrity of the door seal. I'm one who likes to keep the plastic ties on the wires so I can fold them up for storage. I had one of the ties too close to the top vent of my MES 30 Gen 1 and the plastic melted from the heat. Had to unstick it from the top of the smoker. Since then I leave the ties off the wires and keep them in the therm box.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky