First time turkey

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

markdlyon

Original poster
Dec 18, 2013
Hi, Mark from southern Minnesota here. I am new to smoking meats. I have done a few things so far that have turned out great. I am currently working on a turkey that will have a week invested into it so I'm looking for some input. I have a 10 pound turkey. I went to my local butcher and told him I wanted to cure a turkey and then smoke it. He gave me the cure and told me how much water to mix it with and how to inject the brine into the turkey. He told me to then soak it in the remaining brine for 3 days and then soak it in water for 2 days to pull the salts back out of the turkey. This Saturday I will start smoking it. My question or more looking for some recommendations on smoking it. I was thinking of injecting apple juice in it before I smoke it and using apple juice in my water pan and using apple wood to smoke it. I won a smoke hollow electric smoker at my work Christmas party and that's what I will be using. Any ideas on the apple juice, apple wood, times and temps, or since it's cured should I leave it alone and maybe put a good rub on it and something stronger like hickory or mesquite to help make this a wonderful treat. I am open to any suggestions!

Hey Markdlyon,
1st welcome to the forums. Since you have brined already I dont see any reason to inject it as it should be already moist. I put a mixture of apple juice and water in my pan. Some folks will say that none of the apple flavor gets into the meat because of the sugars in the juice but I do it anyway.
Any fruit wood is a good choice for a suddle smokey flavor. I like hickory and apple mix. I would stay away from Mesquite wood since your new to smoking it can turn meat very bitter if you use to much of it.
For the temp I stick a meat thermometer in the thickest part of the breast till its at 170-175 degrees. For the smoker I like it around 250-300 degrees. For the rub it depends on what flavor you are looking for. I have used a rib rub for a bbq turkey. Sage, garlic, thyme, salt,and pepper for more of a traditional flavor. Or just plain ol' salt and pepper always works good. Don't forget to rub it under the skin also. Hope this helps and Happy Smoking! Also I wrap the ends of my legs and wings until it reaches about 155 or so,so they dont get burn't. It makes for a better presentation. Thumbs Up

Last edited:
[h1]
texas.gif
Hello and welcome from East Texas. This is a great site, lots of information and great people that are willing to throw in their two cents worth on about anything.   
[/h1][h1]  [/h1][h1]Gary[/h1]

Glad you joined us Mark, :welcome1: from North Dakota!
Since I am a little late with a reply to questions I will just watch and wait to hear the outcome of your first smoked turkey!

Welcome Mar

You came to the right place for all the help you will need!  Make the search bar your new friend. Tons of information on this site.  And if you need help just ask!

Brian

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky