First Time Turkey Smoke

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tg pythons

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 14, 2013
Wisconsin
First time smoking a whole turkey. Pretty pleased with the results!

I decided on a dry brine on a 12 pound turkey. Once it was almost thawed, I took out the giblets, etc. and coated the inside and outside with sea salt and a full packet of McCormick's Tomato Garlic Basil marinade. I let it sit in the fridge for three days.

3pm: I cranked up the MES30 to 250 and filled the drip pan about 2/3 full of water.

4pm: Loaded the turkey, breasts up, and added apple chips. I probed the breast closest to the door.

http://s15.photobucket.com/user/6sp...B-4633-9E6E-CC1C8339B4A9_zpsjf2tiycx.jpg.html

7pm: IT was at 139. Added another tray of Apple chips. (I know, I need an AMNPS)

9pm: I was surprised that the IT was already up to 170! I wrapped it in foil, put it in a cooler, and let it rest.

11pm: Carved her up. Very happy with the skin and how juicy it was. The dry brine worked its way through the bird as well. Great flavor throughout.

Thanks for reading.

http://s15.photobucket.com/user/6sp...B-4E10-A2D6-2E402993DA38_zpsctw5wxjv.jpg.html

http://s15.photobucket.com/user/6sp...F-476C-9C6F-70FFE9C3CF7E_zpsjgitztvv.jpg.html

http://s15.photobucket.com/user/6sp...A-4D0F-90E1-C4862FECB5D7_zpsd0htlicc.jpg.html

Reactions: disco
Thanks! I would like to add that I took a lot of pointers from other threads on here. This place has been a huge help to me so far.

Thanks! I had no idea what to expect going into it. I have never cooked a whole turkey before, and have never had one that was dry brined either. I was half expecting a dry up lump of turkey. Glad it wasn't!

Nice blow - by - blow presentation. You have some great looking "Bear - View" of the finished Bird...
drool.gif
 . Keep it coming,  I'll watching...
popcorn.gif

Have a very joyous and Prosperous New Year and  . . .

That, sir, is a marvelous looking bird. Great food, great post and terrific Qview. We want more! Keep posting.

Disco

That, sir, is a marvelous looking bird. Great food, great post and terrific Qview. We want more! Keep posting.

Disco

Thanks Disco. Hopefully this winter goes away soon.

I bought an AMNPS last week and have to study up and practice with that.

Hi TG Pythons,

I have been smoking on a gas grill and got a MES smoker for Christmas. The weather has finally broken, snow is off the deck,  and the weather is warming up. I am ready to start on my smoking journey. I just seasoned my new MES smoker and will be doing two chickens for first meal. Then, I need to do a turkey for Easter dinner.

I am looking at your photos and notice what appears to be pink in the thigh. Is this pinkish color from the brine or the smoking? Were they up to temperature?

If my turkey comes out with pink and I don't know why or do not have an explanation, I am afraid I will have people afraid to take it.

Thanks for helping me out.

All the best!

Hi TG Pythons,
I have been smoking on a gas grill and got a MES smoker for Christmas. The weather has finally broken, snow is off the deck,  and the weather is warming up. I am ready to start on my smoking journey. I just seasoned my new MES smoker and will be doing two chickens for first meal. Then, I need to do a turkey for Easter dinner.

I am looking at your photos and notice what appears to be pink in the thigh. Is this pinkish color from the brine or the smoking? Were they up to temperature?
If my turkey comes out with pink and I don't know why or do not have an explanation, I am afraid I will have people afraid to take it.
Thanks for helping me out.
All the best!

The pink can be off-putting for sure. But if it is at temp, then you are good to go! I check temps in numerous spots, and wrapped it in foil, so if it wasn't done in the smoker, it would have continued in the foil/cooler.

I'm smoking my first turkey today for my wife and some friends.  Soaked it in a brine mixture over night of 1 gal. water, 1 cup salt, 1/2 cup brown sugar,  lemon rosemary blend, Worcestershire sauce and a splash of Jim Beam.  I injected the breast with a blend of poultry seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder and butter.  I plan on smoking it at 250* until I get an internal temp of 160*-165* then wrap it in foil and place in the cooler for about an hour.  I'll be using apple wood and some hickory.  Hope it works out.  I'll include some pics later.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky