First time smoking

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

olerockytop

Original poster
Mar 12, 2017
Hey all,

I just got my first smoker, an electric masterbuilt, the other day and today I decided to put it to use. I got an 10 pound pork shoulder roast, followed the directions on here under the basic pulled pork sticky and all is going well. It took several hours but it made its way up to 165 degrees and I sprayed it down and foiled it up as it stated. That was about 4 hours ago and currently it is only in the mid 170s after about 12.5 hours. I'm a bit worried that I'm doing something wrong at this point since the temp hasn't increased in several hours. I read on here about the plateau but I'm not sure how long that should last. I even verified the temp with a second thermometer just to make sure. Should I be concerned at this point?

Thanks,

Matt

I'm sure it's done by now, but it really is nothing to worry about.

Sometimes those stalls last for hours.

How did it turn out?

Al

Haven't tried it yet. It finally hit 205 about 5 am this morning, some 19 hours later. I pulled it out and set it to rest and am about to go pull it now. I knew it was going to take a while but didn't expect that long.

It sure looks good!

19 hours is about right for a 10# shoulder.

We usually figure about 1 1/2 to 2 hours per pound.

I bet it tastes really good!

Al

Yeah I was happy with how it turned out. I smoked at 235 for the first 12 hours and then after foiling I finished it in the oven at 250 as suggested in the post.

Congrats on you pp.....it looks delicious!! They do take time. Sometimes I smoke them till they hit the stall then into a disposable pan, add a little apple juice, cover and place in a 325 degree oven. Usually takes a few hours more at that point. I do this if the situation calls for the butt to get done quicker.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky