First time smoking St. Louis style ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Hey Jord,

I've smoked to many ribs to remember and here's one thing I can tell you from dozens, and dozens of racks of experience. St. Louis ribs are more like 2-2-1. The 3-2-1 is a bit long and better for fattier baby backs IMHO.

When I smoke my ribs using the 2-2-1 method I smoke them around 225-240 and 2-2-1 has always worked on St. Louis style ribs.
Both on a offset and a electric smoker.

Good luck and keep us updated.

Hillbillyrockstar

No problem. I've even used a 3-1-1 method for real tender ribs when my guests are really into that. I like them tender but not fall apart so the 2-2-1 has always worked for me.

After 2 hours unwrap them and check the pullback on them. That's how I always do it. If you have decent pull back your alright. If you don't wrap em back up and put them back on for another hour.

Did you buy them as St. Louis, as on youtube there's videos showing how to trim them up yourself.  Save a few bucks that way.

I bought them already St Louis style. I pulled the membrane off the back before I seasoned them up. I think they were $3.99 a pound.

Looks-Great.gif

I did the 2-2-1 at 225. I used Hickory and Apple wood. When I wrapped them in foil I put some Jack Daniels in with the ribs. They were juicy and tasty. Thanks for the help

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky