• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

First time smoking St. Louis style ribs

jordkass

Fire Starter
Joined Jan 8, 2014
Got three racks of St. Louis ribs today. Seasoned them up. Planning on starting them off tomorrow around 10. Gonna try out the 3-2-1 method. Wish me luck.

hillbillyrkstr

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Joined Jun 11, 2013
Hey Jord,

I've smoked to many ribs to remember and here's one thing I can tell you from dozens, and dozens of racks of experience. St. Louis ribs are more like 2-2-1. The 3-2-1 is a bit long and better for fattier baby backs IMHO.

When I smoke my ribs using the 2-2-1 method I smoke them around 225-240 and 2-2-1 has always worked on St. Louis style ribs.
Both on a offset and a electric smoker.

Good luck and keep us updated.

Hillbillyrockstar

hillbillyrkstr

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Joined Jun 11, 2013
No problem. I've even used a 3-1-1 method for real tender ribs when my guests are really into that. I like them tender but not fall apart so the 2-2-1 has always worked for me.

After 2 hours unwrap them and check the pullback on them. That's how I always do it. If you have decent pull back your alright. If you don't wrap em back up and put them back on for another hour.

shinny

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Feb 8, 2012
Let us know how they turn out and don't forget the Q/view too.

grabber

Meat Mopper
Joined May 3, 2009
Did you buy them as St. Louis, as on youtube there's videos showing how to trim them up yourself.  Save a few bucks that way.

jordkass

Fire Starter
Joined Jan 8, 2014
Just wrapped them in foil with a little Jack Daniels. They look amazing!

jordkass

Fire Starter
Joined Jan 8, 2014
I bought them already St Louis style. I pulled the membrane off the back before I seasoned them up. I think they were $3.99 a pound.

hillbillyrkstr

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Joined Jun 11, 2013
Those look good! How long they end up taking you? What temp did you smoke them on?

jordkass

Fire Starter
Joined Jan 8, 2014
I did the 2-2-1 at 225. I used Hickory and Apple wood. When I wrapped them in foil I put some Jack Daniels in with the ribs. They were juicy and tasty. Thanks for the help

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.