First time smoking St. Louis style ribs

Discussion in 'Pork' started by jordkass, Jan 25, 2014.

1. Got three racks of St. Louis ribs today. Seasoned them up. Planning on starting them off tomorrow around 10. Gonna try out the 3-2-1 method. Wish me luck.

2. hillbillyrkstr

hillbillyrkstr Master of the Pit Group Lead

Hey Jord,

I've smoked to many ribs to remember and here's one thing I can tell you from dozens, and dozens of racks of experience. St. Louis ribs are more like 2-2-1. The 3-2-1 is a bit long and better for fattier baby backs IMHO.

When I smoke my ribs using the 2-2-1 method I smoke them around 225-240 and 2-2-1 has always worked on St. Louis style ribs.
    Both on a offset and a electric smoker.

Good luck and keep us updated.

Hillbillyrockstar

3. Sweet. Thanks for the info!

4. hillbillyrkstr

No problem. I've even used a 3-1-1 method for real tender ribs when my guests are really into that. I like them tender but not fall apart so the 2-2-1 has always worked for me.

After 2 hours unwrap them and check the pullback on them. That's how I always do it. If you have decent pull back your alright. If you don't wrap em back up and put them back on for another hour.

5. Let us know how they turn out and don't forget the Q/view too.

6. . About 1hour in

7. hillbillyrkstr

Looking good!

8. grabber

grabber Smoke Blower

Did you buy them as St. Louis, as on youtube there's videos showing how to trim them up yourself.  Save a few bucks that way.

9. Just wrapped them in foil with a little Jack Daniels. They look amazing!

10. I bought them already St Louis style. I pulled the membrane off the back before I seasoned them up. I think they were $3.99 a pound.

11. . Fabulous! Not fall off the bone tender but just right. Thanks for the advise.

12. waterinholebrew

waterinholebrew Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Nice job Thumbs Up. Bet they were tasty.... WHB

13. hillbillyrkstr

Those look good! How long they end up taking you? What temp did you smoke them on?

14. I did the 2-2-1 at 225. I used Hickory and Apple wood. When I wrapped them in foil I put some Jack Daniels in with the ribs. They were juicy and tasty. Thanks for the help