First time smoking pork shoulder...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokinjd17

Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Good morning! Currently have my first pork shoulder in smoker. First off I hope I got the right cut, I noticed after I bought it that there are two shoulders, Boston and Picnic (i purchased picnic). Anyone know if that was the right choice? Second I heard of finishing the pork in the Oven, what about finishing in a crockpot? I intend to make pulled pork, any other advice would be great! Thanks!

i usually smoke mine til the internal temp gets between 185-190 degrees, than i double foil and place back in the smoker til the internal temp gets to 203-205.  than i take the foil covered meat and wrap with a towel and place in a cooler for about 1/2 an hour to let the meat rest.  after that i pull out and unfoil and place on a cookie sheet and start trimming off the top cap fat and start pulling.  i have seen some people place there pork shoulder in the oven on a higher temp if they had temp stall issue.  dont forget to post some qview :)

I smoke mine to 165, then foil & put in a 235 degree oven until 205. I just smoked 4 yesterday. Started them at noon & they hit 165 at 7:30. Foiled them, & put them in the oven. Went to bed about 9:00 with temp probe remote alarm next to my bed. They all hit 205 at about 1:00 AM. Pulled them out, wrapped in blankets & into a cooler. Back to sleep. Didn't get around to pulling them until about 10:00 AM. Internal temp still about 160. When you foil them be sure to put some moisture in the foil. I use beer, some use apple juice. As far as the cut of meat, I get Boston Butts.

wow thx guys! nice and fast responses! Well I am currently having issues keeping the smoker to temp, may have to with the fact it is 15 degrees and windy here in sunny Ohio.... Therefore I think I will def wrap in foil and put in the oven once the internal gets up higher...I like the idea of adding beer, gives me a reason to drink one (: ....what is qview redneck??

Q View is taking pics of your finished smoke, and pics of the meat in between are good too. I've had to finish meat in the oven at times, if you can get a few hours in the smoker, it'll have some of that great smokey flavor. it's all good my friend.

Thx, I'll try to get some pics!... Yeah it has been in for two hours at 200ish tops so it will go in to oven after a while ):

619db0f4_DSCN3192.jpg

Temp finally good, added more charcoal...
18c25d9c_DSCN3191.jpg

I like the snow! Everyone thinks I'm nuts for cooking outside on a day like this, glad to see I wasn't alone
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

I haven't tried the picnic roast yet, cheaper around here, how did yours turn out?

Same shoulder, different parts. Both are good. I think the Boston Butt is a bit easier to deal with, its the upper part of the shoulder. They come packaged with no skin and are smaller than the picnic. Looks great man, this cold wave is drivin me nuts. I can't remember a december this cold here in NC.

Good morning! Currently have my first pork shoulder in smoker. First off I hope I got the right cut, I noticed after I bought it that there are two shoulders, Boston and Picnic (i purchased picnic). Anyone know if that was the right choice? Second I heard of finishing the pork in the Oven, what about finishing in a crockpot? I intend to make pulled pork, any other advice would be great! Thanks!
Boston Butt top part of shoulder

Picnic lower part

5f9cfd10_viewer.png

I prefer the Boston Butt however both are fine and you can mix the 2 when finished.

What about finishing in the smoker?

You can use a crock pot, that's what I use when doing PP from loins.

Great info guys I really appreciate it!! Pork actually turned out great.. Wrapped in foil and put in oven after 4-5 hours in the smoker. Next time I will def try the boston cut. Thanks again for all the info, this is a great site!

i also have  a few questions what temp should i pull the pork of at? also i pulled it off at 140-150 and it did not just fall apart i had to really chop it up and it was not that flavorful?

yeah thats too early bud. you want to take it to 190 to about 205 if you want it falling apart. as far as flavor goes, what kind of rub did you use? what kind of wood for the smoke? tell us a little more and watch the answers come flying in. you will be cooking excellent barbecue in no time at all if you stick with SMF. check out basic pulled pork smoke under the pork sticky section.

i also have  a few questions what temp should i pull the pork of at? also i pulled it off at 140-150 and it did not just fall apart i had to really chop it up and it was not that flavorful?

i am using a apple and cherry combo for wood chips i mad my own rub with brown sugar  cumin paprika. what would you guys suggest for a rub

i am using a apple and cherry combo for wood chips i mad my own rub with brown sugar  cumin paprika. what would you guys suggest for a rub
Basic rub on pork is brown sugar, salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika. To that you can add all kinds of stuff to expand or create new flavors. Common additions are chili powder, onion powder, cellary salt, cummin, cayanne powder, ginger powder, cinnamon powder, nutmeg.... you get the idea.
biggrin.gif

I would suggest starting with a base, then only adding one or two additional spices at a time, so you can actuall taste what impact the addition has on the flavor.

thanks guys! also i need a meat thermometer that is long enough  to be in the meat and be outside my smoker but not to expensive any idea's

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky