First time smoking - Pork loin

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Andy0902

Original poster
Dec 26, 2018
Marysville, OH
So, Santa brought me a smoker this year. It's a Traeger Pro 22. I spent a lot of time reading here and tried my own rub. I brined it overnight with salt and brown sugar brine. I used cayenne, black pepper, cumin, and paprika. I slathered on some yellow mustard ( I never would have thought that would be a good thing until I saw it mentioned here on SMF) and applied the rub. 4 hours at 225 took the internal temp to 150. I think next time I will take it off at 140.

The result was amazing. I will try to upload some pics, but it was full of flavor and very juicy. I would have had no idea what to do without the expertise on this site. Thanks!!!
IMG_3729.jpg

I think it was the brine that made the difference, but I have read that the mustard helps retain moisture as well. I was thoroughly satisfied with the outcome even if I am using a smoker that totally simplifies the process.

Congrats on getting bit by the BBQ bug. Nice first cook!

I love my Traeger, as well.

I am a newbie, as well, and I have been trying to post most of cooks, as a way to keeping track of things I have done and how I did them. I would suggest doing the same, especially if you are just starting out.

Killer smoke ring!!

I always rub my pork butts with yellow mustard before applying the rub definitely helps IMO.

Don’t forget on cuts of meat like that you can always pull it a few degrees earlier than you normally would. Carryover temp and rest time will usually get you right where you want to be.

Congrats on the new rig look forward to seeing some more great smokes!

My pork butt is ready. I got the rub recipe from another member here and I will start it tomorrow morning. Going to do the mustard first then the rub. I will definitely check back with questions if anything comes up. I am planning on using hickory pellets and smoking at 225 until I get to an internal temp of 190-195. It is an 8 1/2 pounder.

That loin looks perfect, and have fun smoking the butt.

Point for sure..
Chris

1st welcome to SMF. Great first smoke hope you made notes of everything you did sorry but you will forget something the next time if you didn't.

Warren

I think it was the brine that made the difference, but I have read that the mustard helps retain moisture as well. I was thoroughly satisfied with the outcome even if I am using a smoker that totally simplifies the process.

nice job! inspires me to do my own pork loin some day soon. i think the mustard's sole purpose is to help the rub stick to the meat, once it's cooked the mustard doesn't impart it's own flavor which is why it's used with dry rubs.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky