first time smoking bacon !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jrod62

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Jun 13, 2011
New Athens IL
got pork belly few weeks ago. then put it in "Pop's brine" for ten days.

order the AMNPS. smoke some cheese yesterday just to see how good

the AMNPS works
icon14.gif
 . here a link to the cheese thread

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/118002/first-smoke-cheese-with-new-amnps#post_774476

here the belly just before it goes into the brine

8f945c8a_IMAG0206.jpg

in the brine for 10 days. half filled a zip lock bag with water to hold the bacon under the brine.

3d71b6e3_IMAG0209.jpg

right after the brine.

30482b5b_IMAG0247.jpg

fry test to check if there to much salt. turn out fine.

3b374536_IMAG0248.jpg

put pepper and brown sugar on it then in frig. over night.

465bd99f_IMAG0249.jpg

got my AMNPS loaded and ready to go. started it with "weber lighter cubes"

using oak and maple mix.

741073c8_IMAG0263.jpg

burning from both ends

8e2db834_IMAG0264.jpg

bear-view

6fe18271_IMAG0267.jpg

this is a real easy way to get it started

6fd07496_IMAG0238.jpg

will post finish Q-view tonight after belly come off the smoker.

going with 12 hour smoke . got it on at 8AM this morning.

I'm little slow on posting the finish Q-views

here the bacon and some cheese ready for the cold smoke . I need to make it so I can hang the bacon (and sausage)

in my smoker.

643e8916_IMAG0270.jpg

cut open after the smoke

a42175a9_IMAG0278.jpg

slicing it up . 

900021bc_IMAG0280.jpg

to many small pieces. I need to learn which way to slice it.

1b9bb08b_IMAG0285.jpg

Bear-view

e105926e_IMAG0286.jpg

all wrap up

d7f4434d_IMAG0288.jpg

poor thing is all worn out after watching me slice up the bacon

441280a2_IMAG0257.jpg

going to start a 14 day brine on some pork loin and boston butt for more bacon.

thanks for looking

icon_cool.gif

Now your bacon looks awesome. One word of advice thou. If you kinda (half way) freeze your bacon it will slice like butta.

icon_cool.gif

Now your bacon looks awesome. One word of advice thou. If you kinda (half way) freeze your bacon it will slice like butta.
thanks , I did freeze it for a little bit. next time i will leave it in longer.

Hey jrod, I have that same slicer.. besides freezing the bacon prior to slicing as mentioned above.. it also helps to flip it over about every three slices or so... this prevents that flap you get on the bottom of the piece being sliced...the freezing helps with this too.  If push comes to shove you can always hand slice....

Here's some I did a while ago and my slicer was just being a pain in the.......... butt.....even though I froze the bacon for 2 hours....so I finished up by hand slicing... it's really not that hard if you have a really good sharp knife...

http://www.google.com/products/cata...a=X&ei=NutHT5vgEefk0QGEtu2CDg&ved=0CHMQ8wIwAA

-Salt

thanks for the info. I will flip it over every 3 slices and see if that helps

Hey jrod, I have that same slicer.. besides freezing the bacon prior to slicing as mentioned above.. it also helps to flip it over about every three slices or so... this prevents that flap you get on the bottom of the piece being sliced...the freezing helps with this too.  If push comes to shove you can always hand slice....

Here's some I did a while ago and my slicer was just being a pain in the.......... butt.....even though I froze the bacon for 2 hours....so I finished up by hand slicing... it's really not that hard if you have a really good sharp knife...

http://www.google.com/products/cata...a=X&ei=NutHT5vgEefk0QGEtu2CDg&ved=0CHMQ8wIwAA

-Salt

I have the same slicer as well and I kept running into issues when I had the layer of fat facing down. It kept cutting it weird and leaving a strange flap but when I flipped it over and put the fat up then it slice just fine the rest of the time. The thing I had about these slicers is the slide is to darn small. I wanted to slice mine the long way but there wasn't any way that was happening on my slicer.

I have the same slicer as well and I kept running into issues when I had the layer of fat facing down. It kept cutting it weird and leaving a strange flap but when I flipped it over and put the fat up then it slice just fine the rest of the time.

The thing I had about these slicers is the slide is to darn small. I wanted to slice mine the long way but there wasn't any way that was happening on my slicer.
some of my slices was only few inch long. guess I need a bigger slicer.

You know a sharp knife works pretty well!  I cut the bacon into sections that will fit into the 9 inch or 8 inch vacuum bags and freeze.  Remove when needed and slice just what I want at the time.  Takes a bit longer I guess but I don't mind just slicing by hand what I need when I need it.

You know a sharp knife works pretty well!  I cut the bacon into sections that will fit into the 9 inch or 8 inch vacuum bags and freeze.  Remove when needed and slice just what I want at the time.  Takes a bit longer I guess but I don't mind just slicing by hand what I need when I need it.
thanks,
might give that a try next time.

7c96c727_IMAG0296.jpg

wife made some eggs and toast and some home made bacon !!!!!!!!!!

all I can say about the bacon is :

2thumbs.gif

xrocker.gif

drool.gif
                              wow !!!!!!!!!

never will go back to store bacon again !!!!!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky